Hello, I have a question regarding the tutorial fo...
# ask-community
c
Hello, I have a question regarding the tutorial found here: https://docs.dagster.io/getting-started/create-new-project I am following the 'Official Example' side under 'Bootstrapping a new project' section. On pip install -e ".[dev]" I am getting this error... Running setup.py install for wordcloud ... error error: subprocess-exited-with-error × Running setup.py install for wordcloud did not run successfully. │ exit code: 1 ╰─> [22 lines of output] running install C\repos\dagster get started\dag\Lib\site packages\setuptools\command\install.py34: SetuptoolsDeprecationWarning: setup.py install is deprecated. Use build and pip and other standards-based tools. warnings.warn( running build running build_py creating build creating build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311 creating build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud copying wordcloud\color_from_image.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud copying wordcloud\tokenization.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud copying wordcloud\wordcloud.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud copying wordcloud\wordcloud_cli.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud copying wordcloud\_version.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud copying wordcloud\__init__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud copying wordcloud\__main__.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud copying wordcloud\stopwords -> build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud copying wordcloud\DroidSansMono.ttf -> build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud UPDATING build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud/_version.py set build\lib.win-amd64-cpython-311\wordcloud/_version.py to '1.8.2.2' running build_ext building 'wordcloud.query_integral_image' extension error: Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 or greater is required. Get it with "Microsoft C++ Build Tools": https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/visual-cpp-build-tools/ [end of output] note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip. error: legacy-install-failure × Encountered error while trying to install package. ╰─> wordcloud note: This is an issue with the package mentioned above, not pip. hint: See above for output from the failure. Can somebody explain or link me to a solution for this? Sorry it may be a noob question but I was just following the tutorial and can't get this wordcloud package installed. I know I could probably just pip install it by itself but I want to know why this is happening and the best practice for handling dagster project dependencies going forward. Thank you!
t
Hi! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Let me see how I can reproduce this on a windows machine. Are you able to update your C++ version, in the meanwhile? If that's too risky for you, I get it.
c
Hey Tim, yes I went ahead and updated C++ tools. I no longer receive the 'error: Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 or greater is required. Get it with "Microsoft C++ Build Tools": https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/visual-cpp-build-tools/ [end of output]' but am now getting this error. wordcloud/query_integral_image.c(196): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'longintrepr.h': No such file or directory error: command 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2022\\BuildTools\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.35.32215\\bin\\HostX86\\x64\\cl.exe' failed with exit code 2 [end of output] note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip. error: legacy-install-failure × Encountered error while trying to install package. ╰─> wordcloud note: This is an issue with the package mentioned above, not pip. hint: See above for output from the failure.
t
Aaah, thanks for trying that out! You're the feedback that I needed to convince myself to sit down and replace the
wordcloud
package. To immediately unblock you though, you can do one of two things: • install any of the other examples, you won't hit this issue because none except the
quickstart_*
ones use the
wordcloud
package • remove the references to the
wordcloud
package in your dagster project. that'd mean taking it out of
setup.py
, removing its import, deleting the asset that uses the wordcloud, I believe the file is
assets.py
? Apologies for the inconvenience!
c
Okay, thanks for quick replies. I will try one of the other examples. I just wanted a quick primer before I tried to start transitioning my recommender to a dagster project. For clarity, can I use the setup.py to manage my project dependencies? The error message indicates that setup.py install is deprecated?
t
Hi! Sorry thought I replied. Unfamiliar about the setup.py depreciation warning. setup.py is one of pythons (unfortunately many) ways to manage dependencies. Buts probably one of the more robust ones out of the ones that come out of the box with python, barring having to install another tool to manage dependencies.