Hi, I deployed in kubernetes using the default hel...
# ask-community
a
Hi, I deployed in kubernetes using the default helm chart provided by dagster. There is no persistence setup for the postgres pod in that helm chart. As a result, if postgres goes down, all of the run history is lost. Is there a recommended way to setup postgres with persistence in kubernetes?
d
Hi Aaron - we recommend that you host your postgres outside of the k8s cluster, in a cloud database provider like RDS
a
Any reason for this recommendation instead of maybe our own postgresql db?
d
The issue that you mentioned in this post is one good reason - they are also easier to scale up / backup periodically / generally are more production ready than doing it yourself
a
Long term, we want to host our own postgres db, however with deadlines approaching we may switch to use RDS as a stop-gap. Would there be a way to migrate over db data stored in RDS to a postgres db when our production deployment is ready?
d
I’m not entirely sure (little bit out of our area of expertise) but i think it’s plausible that RDS would give you a way to export/dump the contents of the database via something like pg_dump
a
Right you are. I think that makes sense. Thanks for the input Daniel!
condagster 1