Is there a way to append data to an asset? I set u...
# ask-community
a
Is there a way to append data to an asset? I set up a partitioned asset job one of those assets is to get data from a live cache... This part doesn't really need to be partitioned, just updated daily. My job itself is daily, so my issue comes in when trying to backfill. There is really no reason to run the job to get live data from the cache for each partition because the data is the same. But maybe one or two entries are missing from partition to partition and would want to update the asset instead of re-running the whole materialization
o
hi @Aaron T! I might be misunderstanding the situation, but could you just model the upstream asset as an unpartitioned asset? from there, you can implement the IOManager of that unpartitioned asset to just add new data to the existing dataset.
a
Ooh, interesting. How would you handle freshness then, to clear the data? I could also have the asset handle that... When the asset runs, is it possible to get the latest materialization of that asset? So maybe the asset is some object that has expiration values built into it, and then just checks the input `Id`s against the already materialized data to see if that
Id
is present in the asset and then just resave the whole thing