:wave: I'm using 1.3.1 with `AutoMaterializePolicy...
# ask-community
p
đź‘‹ I'm using 1.3.1 with
AutoMaterializePolicy
more or else like so:
Copy code
@asset(freshness_policy=FreshnessPolicy(max_lag_minutes=24*60, cron_schedule="2 15 * * *"), auto_materialize_policy=AutoMaterializePolicy.lazy())
def upstream_a():
  pass

@asset(partitions_def=some_partitions)
def upstream_b:
  pass

@asset(partitions_def=some_partitions, auto_materialize_policy=AutoMaterializePolicy.eager())
def downstream(upstream_a, upstream_b):
  pass
I've seen
downstream
be launched at least once with
created_by:auto_materialize
so this works at least sometimes. But today, I've noticed a run for
upstream_a
be automatically triggered and a sensor updating
upstream_b
more or less concurrently. Both runs produced their corresponding
ASSET_MATERIALIZATION
events, but no run for
downstream
has been scheduled (this was more than 30 minutes ago). What are my options to debug this?
o
hi @Philippe Laflamme! a few bits of information that might help debug on our side: • is
some_partitions
a TimeWindowPartitionsDefinition (e.g. DailyPartitionsDefinition)? • when you say that
upstream_b
is updated by a sensor, what does that sensor look like? • can you confirm if the partition that you want to get kicked off for
downstream
is present in
upstream_b
? the main reason why a run of
downstream
would not be kicked off even though it's eager and a parent has updated is that the corresponding upstream partition is missing (and so if a run was kicked off, it'd likely have incomplete data), so that's the first thing I'd want to check
p
• is
some_partitions
a TimeWindowPartitionsDefinition (e.g. DailyPartitionsDefinition)?
Yes. It is a
DailyPartitionsDefinition
with a
start_date
a
timezone
and
end_offset=2
• when you say that
upstream_b
is updated by a sensor, what does that sensor look like?
It's a function annotated with
@sensor
which uses
some_job.run_request_for_partition(...)
where
some_job
contains 2 assets, the "second" asset being
upstream_b
(i.e.:
upstream_b
has its own upstream asset that runs in the same job)
• can you confirm if the partition that you want to get kicked off for
downstream
is present in
upstream_b
?
Yes, looking at the dagster UI, I can see the partition, its materialization event and the job that materialized it (i.e.:
some_job
) Another datapoint (which hopefully is relevant),
upstream_a
was materialized again 2h later for seemingly no apparent reason. It auto-materialized at 4:20pm (which I expected) and then again at 6:02pm but no other job kicked off around that time.
o
gotcha -- and are these the only relevant assets in this part of the graph (i.e. nothing else is upstream of these, and there are no freshness policies downstream of these?)
ah just read the above (that upstream_b has its own upstream asset)
p
Right,
upstream_a
is the only one with a
FreshnessPolicy
downstream
is a leaf.
o
is upstream_b's parent also partitioned?
p
Yeah, it's in the same job that's being kicked off by the
sensor
so it needs the same partitionsdef
o
ah technically an unpartitioned asset can run in the same job as a partitioned one (it's just that if they're both partitioned, they need the same def)
p
ah, yeah that makes sense... in this case, it's the same partitions_def and
upstream_b
consumes its "parent" as a dependency
o
gotcha, makes sense -- I'm going to see if I can replicate this, it's definitely weird behavior
p
great, thanks! Maybe the last datapoint that might be relevant: the sensor kicked off
some_job
at 41945pm, `upstream_b`'s materialization event happened at 42057pm.
upstream_a
was kicked off as an ad-hoc materialization (no job) at 42005 and its materialization event happened at 42018pm. So `upstream_a`'s event occurred before
upstream_b
according to this, but still relatively close to one-another if that matters.
I'm not sure why
upstream_a
was kicked off though to be honest. It's freshness was definitely out of date and it's
lazy
so I figure that's why?
(it'd be great to know "why" an auto materialization occurred)
o
yep -- when it's lazy, materializations will just be kicked off to try to keep the asset (or any downstream assets) in line with their freshness policies that last data point is interesting, thanks for sharing that -- the fact that two "sources" of information that might trigger a refresh are arriving around the same time might contribute to this weird behavior. I'll try to replicate that specific setup
and also totally agree on knowing why an automaterialization occurred! this is high priority for us, and we're actively working on the changes necessary to populate the backend / UI with this info
đź‘Ť 1
p
2 more datapoints: • I forgot to mention that the partition in question was for "today" (
end_offset=1
) I don't think it should matter, but it's relevant for the next point • tomorrow's partition (
end_offset=2
) was correctly auto-materialized just now (~10:20pm). The sequence was as expected: the sensor detected the data, kicked off a
some_job
run which materialized
upstream_b
(and its parent) and then something kicked off a run for
downstream
As expected
upstream_a
was not materialized since it was within its freshness policy
Any updates on this? I'm now on
and still seeing this problem on occasion. One thing to note is that my daemon doesn't run 24/7. When I leave things running the problem doesn't seem to occur. This usually occurs when I start the daemon after it hasn't been running for several hours (say 12 to 16 hours). In that situation, when the daemon starts, my sensors start scheduling runs for various assets, the "auto-materialize for freshness" runs get scheduled, but the "eager auto-materialize" assets do not get kicked off after their parent asset gets materialized (which were runs scheduled by the sensors).
o
sorry for the late reply on this! I think this notification got lost when I was scrolling through my other threads... as of 1.3.7, there is a new auto materialize evaluation UI that you can access on the Asset Details page of each asset. You'll need to run
dagster instance migrate
before any data gets written, but I think this would help a ton in understanding what's going on here. whenever a parent of an eager auto-materialize asset is materialized, that asset will be evaluated to see if it makes sense to materialize it as well. in most cases it will, but there are some exceptions, for example if any of its parents are missing, or if any of its parents have out-of date data. regardless of if it's materialized or skipped, a reason will be recorded and visible in the UI
hard to say exactly why it might be skipping, but the info of why it thinks it should skip materializing that asset will be very helpful to debug it on our side (as I still haven't been able to replicate this behavior on my end)
p
Thanks, I’ve enabled all of this and will be keeping an eye on it. FWIW: I might be hitting the problem that the partition that should be materialized is not the latest (it’s the one for “yesterday”). I don’t think it’s configurable right now; is there an intention to allow considering more than the latest partition?
o
ah yep, removing that limitation is definitely part of the plan
đź‘Ť 1