Hello everyone, just started my journey with dagst...
# deployment-kubernetes
d
Hello everyone, just started my journey with dagster. I just developed a simple project with multiple assets and it's working pretty good on my machine with dagster dev. the whole project is versioned in a git repo. Now I wanted to move on and let dagster do the processing without running on my local machine. So I installed dagster oss on my k8s infrastructure (with the helm chart). This worked good and I have it up and running with the sample code from the helm installation. But now I'm hitting a roadmap block in understanding how dagster is supposed to run my project. At first I expected there to be a way to add my git repo to the dagster on k8s. but actually I couldn't find a way. So my question is: what is the intended way to have continuous integration of my dagster project in git to the dagster k8s instance?
a
The two pieces in the dagster k8s deployment can be deployed as separate helm charts: dagster itself (daemon and dagit) and your dagster user code. I'd recommend setting up your deployment with separate helm charts. Then, you can have your CI/CD configuration build your dagster user code images and deploy them (individually if you end up with multiple code locations)
d
thank you for the response! so if I understand you correct the deployment process involves creating custom container images for each repository/code location and rebuild it on code change. how is the discovery process for dagster/dagit? is it discovered by k8s labels? or do we need to specify somewhere a connection between those two? also the dagster-user-deployments chart has no helm variables. how does this chart actually work to specify my images? is there a guide somewhere? also couldn't find specifics around building the container image with the code. what are the requirements for a compatible image? any guides?
a
service discovery isn't currently supported - dagit needs to be configured with k8s service names for user code deployments. dagster-user-deployments has variables (including ability to specify images): https://github.com/dagster-io/dagster/blob/master/helm/dagster/charts/dagster-user-deployments/values.yaml here's where you set a flag that you're using separate charts, and point dagster at the user code deployment locations: https://github.com/dagster-io/dagster/blob/master/helm/dagster/values.yaml#L275-L285
👍 1