I have 3 assets: `A`, `B` share the same daily par...
# ask-community
d
I have 3 assets:
A
B
share the same daily partitions;
C
is also daily partitioned, but has different partitions (starting 1 day later). It's mapped into the same partition from
A
and 2 previous partitions from
B
(that’s why it’s partitions start 1 day later).
TimeWindowPartitionMapping
is used to map it to 2 previous partitions.
A
and
B
belong to code location 1,
C
belongs to 2. There is a problem:
fails with this error:
Copy code
dagster._core.errors.DagsterInvalidDefinitionError: Can't use the start_offset or end_offset parameters of TimeWindowPartitionMapping when the cron schedule of the upstream PartitionsDefinition is different than the cron schedule of the downstream one.

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster_graphql/implementation/utils.py", line 126, in _fn
    return fn(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster_graphql/implementation/utils.py", line 57, in _fn
    result = fn(self, graphene_info, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster_graphql/schema/roots/mutation.py", line 299, in mutate
    return create_and_launch_partition_backfill(graphene_info, backfillParams)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster_graphql/implementation/execution/backfill.py", line 155, in create_and_launch_partition_backfill
    backfill = PartitionBackfill.from_asset_partitions(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster/_core/execution/backfill.py", line 341, in from_asset_partitions
    serialized_asset_backfill_data=AssetBackfillData.from_asset_partitions(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster/_core/execution/asset_backfill.py", line 352, in from_asset_partitions
    target_subset |= asset_graph.bfs_filter_subsets(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster/_core/definitions/asset_graph.py", line 469, in bfs_filter_subsets
    partition_mapping.get_downstream_partitions_for_partitions(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster/_core/definitions/time_window_partition_mapping.py", line 133, in get_downstream_partitions_for_partitions
    return self._map_partitions(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster/_core/definitions/time_window_partition_mapping.py", line 159, in _map_partitions
    raise DagsterInvalidDefinitionError(
when launching a backfill for
B
. I can't backfill the asset. I can run individual runs tho. Clearly this check is in the wrong place as I'm not selecting the
C
asset for the backfill, only
B
, so no
PartitionsMapping
shoud get executed. I've had my own custom
PartitionsMapping
previously which of course didn't have this check and worked without any problems. @owen here is the post
o
gotcha thank you -- mind sharing the code where you define A, B, and C?
d
Copy code
A_partitions = DailyPartitionsDefinition(
    start_date=datetime(2021, 8, 23), hour_offset=5, minute_offset=1
)

@asset(
    partitions_def=A_partitions,
    io_manager_key="polars_parquet_io_manager",
)
def A(context: OpExecutionContext) -> pl.DataFrame:

B_partitions = DailyPartitionsDefinition(
    start_date=datetime(2021, 8, 23), hour_offset=5, minute_offset=1
)

@asset(
    partitions_def=B_partitions,
)
def B(context: OpExecutionContext) -> pl.DataFrame:

@asset(
    partitions_def=DailyPartitionsDefinition(
        start_date=B_partitions.start + timedelta(days=1), hour_offset=5, minute_offset=1
    ),
    ins={
        "B_partitions": AssetIn(
            key=B_key,
            partition_mapping=TimeWindowPartitionMapping(start_offset=-1),
        ),
        "A": AssetIn(key=A_key),
    },
)
def C(config: CConfig, A: pl.DataFrame, B_partitions: dict[str, pl.DataFrame]) -> pl.DataFrame:
C is in a different code location, so A and B are source assets for C
o
hm I'm still struggling to reproduce this with that code (running just
B
works as expected, as does running all the assets in a single backfill) this is definitely a very strange error (as of course the cron schedules should be identical here) -- when does this come up? is it at the moment you press "Launch N-run backfill"? or is it after the backfill is kicked off? and are there other assets downstream of B? any non-daily-partitioned assets in general?
d
The error appears at the moment when I press the backfill button There is another downstream asset for
B
-
D
, it's daily partitioned and also mapped with
(also has different partitions).