Weekly Release Highlights: 1.3.4 :sparkles: :picke...
# dagster-releases
t
Weekly Release Highlights: 1.3.4 picked Select assets by their prefix with
AssetSelection.key_prefixes
🦀 Runs stuck in a CANCELING state due to an error will now move to CANCELED 🖨️ Learn how to use Dagster and manage your own I/O in a new tutorial section More about integrations: 👻 [dagster-k8s] K8sRunLauncher and k8s_job_executor will retry the API call to create a Kubernetes Job when getting transient error codes 🕵🏼 [dagster-snowflake]
SnowflakeIOManager
now supports `private_key`s that have been
base64
encoded What was your favorite change in this release? React to this message with its emoji!
g
How can I zoom the asset graph now after this change (on the touchpad of a mac)? There, the old behaviour was much more intuitive.
plus1 1
(the touchpad does not have a scroll wheel)
it looks like pressing command works - but is it possible to get the old behaviour back (touchpad friendly)
t
Thanks for the feedback! I'll let the team know about your experience. I'm unsure if there's currently a way to get the old behavior back
g
maybe I also just have to get used to it. But with a touchpad I think the old option was much better.
s
personally really like the movement on the touchpad, but there might need to be a zoom in/out icon on the interface -- woudlnt' have known it was possible if i hadn't read this thread and tried it.
j
Hey guys! thanks for the feedback on this. Two things we're exploring: • make this a user configurable setting so you can decide the default scroll behavior) • implementing pinch to zoom on trackpads
g
the better default on trackpads (2nd option) sounds better
👍🏻 1
b
hey gang, thanks for the feedback - I’m looking into implementing pinch to zoom right now, will see what is possible with the DOM APIs! In the meantime, Cmd + ScrollWheel does still zoom, but isn’t very discoverable 🙏
j
Which version of dagster-k8s is 1.3.4 compatible with?
t
I might be wrong, but it should be 0.19.4
j
@Tim Castillo Thanks! I was running
pip install dagster-k8s
and was getting v1.0.5 for dagster-k8s and dagster.
d
@Tim Castillo thanks for the Tutorial on using assets without I/O Managers and clarifying when you should use an I/O Manager, and when you shouldn't. To summarize: If you don't need to load the data into memory, you are better of without an I/O manager. In my / our use case, our first step / asset in the pipeline is to copy a file from one storage account to another (Azure). We are not doing any transformation to the file / data whatsoever - just copying. For me this sounds like we do not need an I/O manager for this asset? As we can do the copying of the file directly with the Azure SDK, without loading it into memory. Is my understanding correct? 🙂 Thanks!
👍🏽 1
p
Thanks for this. Do we know which release will have this feautre? I was hoping for this to be shipped in
🙂
t
Hi Pezhman! Hmm, from the look of things, it might've gotten merged in after our release cut, and wasn't cherrypicked in afterward. @sandy might be able to help you, but it looks like it'll be in next week's release.
🌈 1
s
Yes - it'll be in next week's release
🌈 1
d
Hey, I still didn't get how to zoom in the new version (besides focusing on an asset by double clicking it)
g
the cmd scroll only works on Macs.
On Windows, I cannot even get it to zoom on the trackpad
d
I'm on Linux (Hyprland) and can't zoom 🙂 Perhaps ctrl+scroll should be used for zooming?
g
so on Mac the right cmd button makes it zoom whilst scrolling
d
So what's up with the zoom? Will it return in the next release? Right now I can't use it (or I haven't figured it out?) on my PC.
j
Hey @Daniel Gafni, on a PC you should be able to zoom by holding down the control key while scrolling. We're also shipping a few updates this week to make this interaction more clear and hopefully more intuitive: • If you're using a trackpad, you'll be able to pinch to zoom the graph. • We're making the zoom widget in the bottom right more prominent • You'll be able to hover over that widget and scroll to zoom
d
Unfortunately that’s not the case, ctrl doesn’t have an effect for me. It’s still scrolling up and down.
I’m not sure if it’s important but I’m on Wayland
e
@Daniel Gafni this zoom gadget doesn't appear to you?
d
It does, I was just not aware of it :) I always used scroll to zoom
D 1
g
@josh are these updates already shipped? For me, the touchpad still no longer works.
j
@geoHeil yes, this shipped in last week's release 1.3.5. You should see a new zoom widget in the bottom right of the graph. There are a few new ways to zoom: • Pinch to zoom on a trackpad • Hold down Command or Control while scrolling • Hover over the zoom widget area and scroll
g
I can see this, but Pinch Zoom is not Zooming the slider - it is zooming the browser overall using ctrl +/ and totally distorting the UI for me
pepehands 1