When testing software defined assets that make use...
# ask-community
b
When testing software defined assets that make use of time range partitions, what's the best way to assemble the context?
build_op_context
allows a single partition key, not a range
🤖 1
s
Hi Brendan, It looks like we don’t support this right now-- partition key ranges are a bit rough around the edges. The technical reason is that these ranges are sourced from run tags, and there are no run tags when doing direct op invocation. However, I think it’d be simple enough to add support for this to
build_op_context
, if you create a issue for it I’m pretty sure I can knock it out quickly.
b
I @sean - that's interesting. I will make an issue, but I'd like a bit of clarity first, as I actually got it to work with:
Copy code
context = dagster.build_op_context(partition_key="2023-01-05")
and then
time_window = context.asset_partitions_time_window_for_output()
works. Obviously this doesn't cover a range beyond a single day (which I would like to test). (I notice that this method is marked
deprecated
on the
OpExecutionContext
(but not the
AssetExecutionContext
) - which leaves me a bit confused. What's going on here?) Finally, this
context.partition_time_window
does not work, despite the above working. This is another confusing part! Any ideas before I make the issue?
s
If we have a daily partitioned asset, then each key corresponds to a timespan over a whole day (a “time window”)-- so, no surprise that
asset_partitions_time_window_for_output
works, since it can be derived from one partition key.
(I notice that this method is marked deprecated on the OpExecutionContext (but not the AssetExecutionContext) - which leaves me a bit confused. What’s going on here?)
I’m not 100% up to date here but that’s probably bc
OpExecutionContext
is only being used now in situations where there is no associated asset. If you have an
@asset
it should always receive the
AssetExecutionContext
subclass instead.
Finally, this context.partition_time_window does not work, despite the above working. This is another confusing part! Any ideas before I make the issue?
Seems odd, what error gets thrown?
đź‘Ť 1
b
Copy code
AttributeError: 'BoundOpExecutionContext' object has no attribute '_step_execution_context'. Did you mean: 'get_step_execution_context'?
I'll add the error to the issue
s
Thanks, seems like a straightforward bug
🙏 1
b
With the bug fixed, presumably inside an
@asset
context.partition_time_window
should be preferred to
context.asset_partitions_time_window_for_output()
? The latter I'd expect from the name to be more associated with output steps.
s
I agree
b
Hi Sean - wondering if you managed to track down the bug regarding
asset_partitions_time_window_for_output()
vs
partition_time_window
? The former works in tests, the latter does not. Latest version of Dagster I also still can't use ranges (using
PartitionKeyRange
when building a context results in
Tried to access partition_key for a non-partitioned asset
, while
partition_key
alone does not).
Copy code
>       return self._step_execution_context.partition_time_window
E       AttributeError: 'BoundOpExecutionContext' object has no attribute '_step_execution_context'. Did you mean: 'get_step_execution_context'?