https://dagster.io/ logo
#ask-community
Title
# ask-community
j

James King

07/05/2023, 11:38 AM
Hi, I am reviewing the connectors to databases available, use case will involve injecting data into Oracle and then translating it using DBT in a ELT fashion, Dagster doesn't look like a good fit currently, is there a section in the documentation I should be looking at to correct my current conclusion?
🤖 1
j

jamie

07/05/2023, 3:35 PM
hey @James King do you have specific concerns I can try to address? dagster doesn’t have an oracle integration, but you should be able to pretty easily write your own using the resource system [docs]. And then the dbt integration [docs] will be a good resource for you as well
j

James King

07/05/2023, 3:37 PM
Thanks Jamie, I'll take a look
The dbt page looks good, if however I want to put the data into say a json field for each row in a file in the same way airbyte does how would I do that in dagster without using airbyte?
j

jamie

07/05/2023, 4:28 PM
cc @rex or @owen mind taking that one?
o

owen

07/05/2023, 9:00 PM
hi @James King ! There's no built-in way of doing this in Dagster (tools like Fivetran, Airbyte, or Stitch are built for the purpose of moving data from point A to point B, Dagster is just responsible for orchestrating these tools) However, you can always write your own custom Python code for these purposes, which Dagster can orchestrate. It looks like Oracle has a python client which you could invoke to do a task like what you're describing This custom code would be written inside of a Software-Defined Asset. In pseudocode, I'd imagine something like:
Copy code
@asset
def my_table() -> None:
    with open("file.txt") as file:
        for line in file:
           oracle_client.execute_sql("INSERT INTO ...")
j

James King

07/06/2023, 8:37 AM
Thank you Owen