Good morning Dagster friends! I have a hard time u...
# ask-community
o
Good morning Dagster friends! I have a hard time understanding some behaviours with auto-materialization policies. I have 3 upstream assets with lazy policies and one downstream asset with an eager policy. As expected, the 3 upstream assets refresh at expected intervals. But the downstream asset doesn’t. Looking at the auto-materialization history pane, it says that it’s waiting on upstream data. Not sure why since my upstream assets are fresh. Any ideas? Thanks!
o
hi @Olivier Dupuis! I believe this is happening due to an upstream partitioned asset with missing / failed partitions -- technically, those downstream dbt assets are missing some upstream data (those missing / failed partitions), but that isn't shown in the UI at the moment. If you fill in those partitions, I'd expect things to work as expected As an aside, we're actively working to make it possible to customize this behavior (in this case, removing the condition that all of the upstream data has to be present in order for the downstream to be materialized would probably be what you want)
o
Hey @owen, oh that explains it then. I do have incomplete partitions in upstream assets. I wasn’t aware of that behaviour though. I didn’t mind having a few missing partitions, but now that I know about that, I’ll go ahead and rematerialize them. And yeah, having the ability to customize that behaviour would be awesome 🙂 Thanks again for your help!
o
no problem! as an additional aside, the next release will give you specific asset keys that we're waiting on, which would also help debug this sort of issue
o
Omg, it definitely will 🤩