I'm trying to figure out how to feed a dbt asset i...
# integration-dbt
c
I'm trying to figure out how to feed a dbt asset into an op using the new API (for example, I want to read in a dbt table and send an email based on some calculations):
Copy code
@dbt_assets(
    manifest=manifest
)
def all_dbt_assets(context: OpExecutionContext, dbt: DbtCli):

@job
def my_job():
    my_op(all_dbt_assets.to_source_asset(key=manifest.get_asset_key_for_model(model_name="my_dbt_model")))
but I'm not defining an I/O manager so the job doesn't know how to load the table
🤖 1
I'm using a source asset since I'd rather not have the job re-run the dbt model, but if that's easier, I'd accept that
r
We have APIs for specifying downstream dependencies for certain dbt models: https://github.com/dagster-io/dagster/discussions/14964
c
I read through that, but all the examples are of downstream assets - and I have a downstream op. Would it be helpful to add my use case to the discussion?
q
I think what you need is an io manager for the dbt assets. Then in the
load_input
function of the io manager, connect to the database and do a select star from the dbt asset and return the results as a dataframe. Could be pandas or polars. I'd recommend polars though. It's be nice if an io manager like that came out of the box from dagster that uses the underlying dbt adapter to connect to the warehouse and get the results. But at the moment, we don't have that
c
thanks @Qwame! that was it - I somehow overlooked that the new
@dbt_assets
decorator has an
io_manager_key
argument 🤦