Hi Team, How does dagster cloud determines the pa...
# dagster-plus
a
Hi Team, How does dagster cloud determines the parent deployment, i have a sand deployment and created a branch on that deployment, however it still takes prod as the parent deployment. this can be seen on environment variables of the branch deployment
D 1
d
Hi ashish - the way that it works right now is that one full deployment is designated as the “parent” deployment of all branch deployments in your organization for the purpose of environment variables. We can change which deployment that parent deployment to a different one if you’d like - just let us know the organization name and the name of the new deployment to use.
a
Alright, got it can we make it
sand
for
lundbeck
is there anyway i can do it myself in the config ? Also we might change this in future, we have few questions regarding this, that i will send on the email to the support team
d
done!
D 1
a
Hi Daniel, I am able to see the env vars in the UI, however while running the job it gives below error
Copy code
dagster._core.errors.DagsterInvalidConfigError: Error in config for job __ASSET_JOB
    Error 1: Post processing at path root:resources:snowflake:config:private_key of original value {'env': 'SNOWFLAKE_DAGSTER_PLATFORM_KEY'} failed:
dagster._config.errors.PostProcessingError: You have attempted to fetch the environment variable "SNOWFLAKE_DAGSTER_PLATFORM_KEY" which is not set. In order for this execution to succeed it must be set in this environment.
d
What version of dagster is the job container using?
a
d
where exactly do you see that error?
a
while materializing on ui
d
Can you be more specific? Which page/dialog/screen etc.
a
Code location -> Assets -> View lineage -> selecting first asset and clicking on Materialize selected
🙏 1
d
and is this happening in both full deployments and branch deploymnets?
a
only in branch deployment
d
in the env var, make sure that this checkbox is checked
If you click the "Edit" button on the Environment variables tab
in the lower left of the dialog that opens
a
yesss, i can see the tag of branch deployment now
🎉 1
thanks that will work , i will put all of them to branch and then see if that works
m
Hi @daniel, is allowing per-branch deployment parents on the roadmap? For our use case, there isn't really one "parent". Each deployment will have people creating branches from that deployment so we ideally need to be able to propagate variables from each deployment down to the corresponding branches.
d
Hi Matt - it's on the longer term roadmap / things we know we want to do in the future and you're not the first to ask for it, but it's not currently being worked on. In the meantime as a workaround I could imagine setting certain secrets as part of the branch deployment CI/CD process approximating this: https://docs.dagster.io/dagster-cloud/managing-deployments/setting-environment-variables-dagster-cloud-agents#amazon-ecs-agents but appreciate that that's a lot more work to set up than something more natively supported by the tool