Hello... I've previously used dagster's dbt-cloud ...
# integration-dbt
j
Hello... I've previously used dagster's dbt-cloud API and looking to switch but we have a separate dbt github repo. Does Dagster only require the
manifest.json
file from dbt in order to not only visualize assets but also run/build them? So in theory, I can keep dbt separate (if i want to) and just sync the manifest file into the Dagster repo via CI?
dagster bot responded by community 1
j
Yes exactly, you can use something like this code. This will generate the manifest on the fly of you have
DAGSTER_DBT_PARSE_PROJECT_ON_LOAD
configured, or will select from an already generated
manifest
file if you don’t. Then you can configure you CI/CD like this in both repo. https://github.com/dagster-io/dagster/discussions/13767
j
Ah thanks Jacob! Hadn't seen the GH discussion threads
Just to circle back here after reading through above and messing around with the jaffle_shop demo... I do need both
manifest.json
and
dbt models folder
in the dagster project for this to work. The manifest file alone allows me to visualize the assets but when attempting to run models dbt finds no models to run.
Copy code
[WARNING]: Configuration paths exist in your dbt_project.yml file which do not apply to any resources.
There are 2 unused configuration paths:
- models.jaffle_shop.staging
- models.jaffle_shop
I thought having the
manifest
file alone would be enough to run dbt
p
the manifest is required for rendering the UI and knowing what assets exist when loading your code, but the full dbt project with seeds and models and macros is required in order to run dbt, hope that helps
👍🏾 1