I have a job that consists of one op. How do I pas...
# ask-ai
d
I have a job that consists of one op. How do I pass resources/config (names of db, files) to the op?
s
To pass resources or configuration to an op within a job in Dagster, you can define resources and attach them to the job. Resources can encapsulate configuration for things like database connections or file paths. Here's how you can do it step by step: 1. Define a resource class that encapsulates the configuration you need. For example, if you need to pass database credentials, you can create a resource that holds this information. 2. Annotate the op function with the resource by including it as a parameter. This tells Dagster that your op requires the resource. 3. Attach the resource to the job by including it in the
resource_defs
argument of the job decorator. Here's an example based on the documentation:
Copy code
python from dagster import job, op, resource  # Define a resource class with configuration @resource(config_schema={"db_name": str, "file_path": str}) def my_resource(context):     return {         "db_name": context.resource_config["db_name"],         "file_path": context.resource_config["file_path"]     }  # Define an op that requires the resource @op(required_resource_keys={"my_resource"}) def my_op(context):     # Access the resource configuration within the op     db_name = context.resources.my_resource["db_name"]     file_path = context.resources.my_resource["file_path"]     # Your logic here  # Define a job that includes the resource @job(resource_defs={"my_resource": my_resource}) def my_job():     my_op()  # Execute the job with the specific configuration if __name__ == "__main__":     my_job.execute_in_process(         run_config={             "resources": {                 "my_resource": {                     "config": {                         "db_name": "my_database",                         "file_path": "/path/to/my/file"                     }                 }             }         }     )
In this example,
my_resource
is a resource that holds the configuration for a database name and a file path. The
my_op
op requires this resource and accesses its configuration within the op's body. The
my_job
job includes the
my_resource
in its
resource_defs
. When executing the job, you provide the specific configuration values for the
my_resource
through the
run_config
parameter. Remember to define the appropriate
config_schema
for your resource to validate the configuration values you pass to it.
Based on the documentation, when you transition from using multiple repositories to a single
Definitions
object containing multiple jobs, you need to ensure that all required resources for each job are properly defined and accessible. If you encounter an error like
Missing required config entry "resources" at the root
, it typically means that the job execution is expecting certain resources to be configured, but they are not provided in the
run_config
. Here are the steps you should take to troubleshoot and resolve this issue: 1. Review the job definitions to ensure that all required resources are declared. Each job may have its own set of resources that it depends on. 2. Check the
run_config
you're providing when you execute the job. Make sure that it includes the necessary resource configurations for the job that is failing. The
run_config
should have a
resources
section where you define the configurations for each resource required by the job. 3. If you have recently combined jobs into a single
Definitions
object, ensure that the resources are correctly mapped to each job. It's possible that the resource definitions that were previously associated with individual repositories need to be re-associated with the jobs within the
Definitions
. 4. If the jobs share common resources, make sure that these resources are defined in a way that they can be accessed by both jobs within the
Definitions
. Here's an example of what your
run_config
might look like with the resources section included:
Copy code
yaml resources:   my_resource:     config:       db_name: "my_database"       file_path: "/path/to/my/file"
And here's how you might define the
Definitions
with both jobs:
Copy code
python from dagster import Definitions, job, op, resource  # Define your resources and ops here  # Define your jobs @job(resource_defs={"my_resource": my_resource}) def job_a():     # ...  @job(resource_defs={"my_resource": my_resource}) def job_b():     # ...  # Combine jobs into a single Definitions object defs = Definitions(     jobs=[job_a, job_b],     resources={         "my_resource": my_resource,         # Include other resources as needed     } )
Make sure that when you execute the jobs, you provide the necessary
run_config
for the resources they require. If you continue to experience issues, you may want to review the specific job and resource definitions to ensure they are correctly configured and that the
run_config
matches the expected schema.