How to run a dbt operation in a job ?
# ask-ai
j
How to run a dbt operation in a job ?
s
To run a dbt operation within a Dagster job, you can use the
dagster_dbt
library which provides several dbt operations that you can include in your Dagster jobs. Here's a step-by-step guide based on the documentation: 1. Install the
dagster_dbt
library
: Make sure you have the
dagster_dbt
library installed in your environment. This library provides the necessary dbt operations that can be used within Dagster. 2. Define a dbt resource: You need to define a dbt resource that specifies how to run dbt commands. This can be done using the
dbt_cli_resource
provided by
dagster_dbt
. 3. Create a job with dbt operations: Use the dbt operations provided by
dagster_dbt
, such as
dbt_run_op
dbt_compile_op
, or
dbt_ls_op
, to create a job. These operations correspond to the
dbt run
dbt compile
, and
dbt ls
commands respectively. Here's an example of how to define a job that includes a dbt run operation, as described in the documentation:
Copy code
python from dagster import job from dagster_dbt import dbt_run_op, dbt_cli_resource  @job(resource_defs={"dbt": dbt_cli_resource}) def my_dbt_cli_job():     dbt_run_op()
In this example,
dbt_run_op
is an operation that executes the
dbt run
command. The
dbt_cli_resource
is used to configure how the dbt command is executed, such as specifying the project directory or profiles directory. You can configure the
dbt_cli_resource
with the necessary settings for your dbt project. 4. Execute the job: Once you have defined your job, you can execute it using Dagster's tooling, such as Dagit or the Dagster CLI. The job will run the dbt operation according to the configuration you've provided. Remember to configure your dbt resource with the appropriate settings for your environment, such as the dbt project directory, profile, and other necessary configurations. This will ensure that the dbt operations within your Dagster job run correctly.
j
@Scout how do I run a specific dbt operation ?
s
To run a specific dbt operation within a Dagster job, you can use the
dagster_dbt
library's provided dbt operations. Each dbt operation corresponds to a different dbt command. For example, if you want to run a specific dbt model or a set of models, you can use the
dbt_run_op
and provide the appropriate configuration. Here's how you can run a specific dbt operation: 1. Define your dbt resource: Set up the
dbt_cli_resource
with the necessary configuration for your dbt project. 2. Create a job with the specific dbt operation: Use the appropriate dbt operation from
dagster_dbt
and configure it to run the specific dbt command you want. For example, to run a specific model or set of models, you can pass the
--models
or
--select
argument to the
dbt_run_op
. Here's an example of how to define a job that runs a specific dbt model:
Copy code
python from dagster import job, op from dagster_dbt import dbt_cli_resource  @op(required_resource_keys={"dbt"}) def run_specific_dbt_model(context):     # Replace 'my_model' with the specific model you want to run     context.resources.dbt.run(["run", "--select", "my_model"])  @job(resource_defs={"dbt": dbt_cli_resource}) def my_dbt_job():     run_specific_dbt_model()
In this example, the
run_specific_dbt_model
operation is configured to run a specific dbt model by using the
dbt.run
method with the
--select
argument. You can replace
'my_model'
with the name of the model or pattern you want to run. 3. Execute the job: After defining your job, you can execute it using Dagster's execution tools, such as Dagit or the Dagster CLI. The job will run the specified dbt operation with the configuration you've provided. Make sure to adjust the configuration of the
dbt_cli_resource
and the arguments passed to the
dbt.run
method according to your specific dbt project and the operation you want to perform.
j
@Scout I am facing this error :
Copy code
'DbtCliResource' object has no attribute 'run'
with this piece of code :
Copy code
context.resources.dbt.run(
            operation_name="publish", args=[f"--{arg_name}", arg_value]
        )
s
The error message
'DbtCliResource' object has no attribute 'run'
indicates that you are trying to call a method
run
on an instance of
DbtCliResource
that does not exist. In the
dagster_dbt
library, the
DbtCliResource
object provides a method called
cli
to run dbt commands, not
run
. To execute a dbt operation using
DbtCliResource
, you should use the
cli
method. Here's how you can modify your code to use the correct method:
Copy code
python context.resources.dbt.cli(     ["run-operation", "publish", f"--{arg_name}", arg_value] )
In this example,
cli
is the correct method to invoke dbt CLI commands. The first argument to
cli
is a list of command-line arguments that you would pass to dbt in the terminal. The
run-operation
command is used to invoke a specific dbt operation. Make sure to replace
"publish"
arg_name
, and
arg_value
with the actual operation name and arguments you want to pass to your dbt command. If you are trying to run a specific dbt model or a set of models, you would use the
dbt_run_op
operation provided by
dagster_dbt
. However, if you need to run a custom dbt operation that is not covered by the provided dbt operations, you can use the
cli
method as shown above.