How can I create dbt_assets which yield both dbt `...
# ask-ai
t
How can I create dbt_assets which yield both dbt
build
models and
snapshots
and include these in a single job run?
s
To create
dbt_assets
that yield both dbt
build
models and
snapshots
and include these in a single job run, you can use the
@dbt_assets
decorator provided by the
dagster-dbt
library. This decorator allows you to define Dagster assets for dbt models, and by using the
dbt build
command, you can also execute snapshots as part of the process. Here's a step-by-step guide based on the documentation: 1. Define Your dbt Assets: Use the
@dbt_assets
decorator to define your dbt assets. You need to specify the
manifest
path and use the
select
parameter to include the models and snapshots you want to materialize. The
dbt build
command will execute both models and snapshots. 2. Create a Job: Define a Dagster job that materializes the dbt assets. You can use the assets defined in the previous step to create a job that will run the dbt build process, including both models and snapshots. 3. Schedule the Job: If you want to schedule the job to run at specific intervals, you can use Dagster's scheduling system to do so. Here's an example based on the documentation:
Copy code
python
from dagster_dbt import dbt_assets

# Define your dbt assets, including both models and snapshots
@dbt_assets(
    manifest=dbt_manifest_path,
    select="tag:my_tag"  # Replace 'my_tag' with the appropriate dbt tag or selection pattern
)
def my_dbt_assets(context, dbt):
    # The dbt.cli method is used to execute dbt commands
    yield from dbt.cli(['build'], context=context).stream()

# Create a job that materializes the dbt assets
my_dbt_job = my_dbt_assets.to_job()

# (Optional) Schedule the job to run at specific intervals
# from dagster import ScheduleDefinition

# my_dbt_schedule = ScheduleDefinition(
#     job=my_dbt_job,
#     cron_schedule="0 0 * * *",  # This is a daily schedule at midnight
# )
Please note that the
select
parameter in the
@dbt_assets
decorator should be used to specify which models and snapshots to include. You can use dbt selection syntax to target specific models, snapshots, or tags. Keep in mind that the example provided is a general guide. You may need to adjust the code to fit your specific dbt project configuration and Dagster setup. If you have a more complex scenario or need to customize the behavior further, you can refer to the
dagster_dbt
API documentation for additional parameters and options. For more detailed examples and customization options, you can refer to the
dagster-dbt
library documentation: - [Dagster with dbt Cloud](https://docs.dagster.io/integrations/dbt-cloud) - [Dagster-dbt API docs](https://docs.dagster.io/_apidocs/libraries/dagster-dbt) If you encounter any issues or have specific requirements not covered by the example, please provide more details so we can assist you further. Referencing Multiple DBT Profiles in dbt... button No assets when using DbtCliResource with... button How do I create an
AssetSelection
of m... button dbt integration - adding python downstre... button Thank you for your feedback!
t
The
dbt build
command will execute both models and snapshots
Ah! I am a fool. I thought
build
only bundled
run
and
test
together.