<@U0667DNC02Y> After some time i got many folders ...
# ask-ai
p
@Scout After some time i got many folders with "tmp"-prefix in the name in my dagster folder. what am I supposed to be doing with them? gitignore? Delete? what are they even for?
s
The folders with a "tmp"-prefix in your Dagster folder are likely temporary directories created by Dagster during its operations. These directories can be used for various purposes, such as storing intermediate computation results, logs, or other temporary files needed during the execution of pipelines or jobs. The documentation does not explicitly state what to do with these temporary directories after they are created. However, it is common practice to exclude temporary files and directories from version control by listing them in a
.gitignore
file. This prevents them from being committed to your Git repository, as they are not meant to be permanent or shared across different environments. If these temporary directories are not being cleaned up automatically, and you are sure that they are not needed for any ongoing processes or for debugging purposes, you may manually delete them to clean up your workspace. However, it's important to ensure that you are not deleting any files or directories that are required for the correct operation of your Dagster instance. If you find that these temporary directories are accumulating frequently and you're unsure why Dagster is not cleaning them up, it may be worth investigating further to understand the root cause. This could involve checking the configuration of your Dagster deployment, reviewing logs to see if there are any errors or warnings related to file handling, or reaching out to the Dagster community for support. In summary, you can typically
.gitignore
these temporary directories and delete them if they are no longer needed, but it's important to understand why they are being created and whether they should be cleaned up automatically by Dagster. If this behavior is unexpected or causing issues, it may require further investigation.