how do i current directory as an env var in the `d...
# ask-ai
d
how do i current directory as an env var in the
dagster.yaml
file?
s
To use the current directory as an environment variable in the
dagster.yaml
file, you would typically set an environment variable in your shell to the current directory and then reference that environment variable in your
dagster.yaml
. Here's how you can do it step by step: 1. Set an environment variable in your shell to the current directory. For example, in a Unix-like shell, you could use the following command:
Copy code
sh    export DAGSTER_HOME=$(pwd)
This sets the
DAGSTER_HOME
environment variable to the current working directory. 2. In your
dagster.yaml
file, you can then reference this environment variable using the syntax provided by your operating system's shell. For example:
Copy code
yaml    instance:      root_directory: ${DAGSTER_HOME}
Please note that the exact syntax for referencing environment variables can vary depending on the shell and operating system you are using. The example above uses Unix shell syntax. Keep in mind that the
dagster.yaml
file is used to configure the Dagster instance, and the
DAGSTER_HOME
environment variable is used by Dagster to locate this file and other instance-related data. If you want to use the current directory as the
DAGSTER_HOME
, you need to ensure that the
dagster.yaml
file is located in the current directory or in a directory structure that Dagster expects based on the
DAGSTER_HOME
setting. If you encounter any issues or need further clarification, please refer to the documentation or reach out for more specific guidance.
d
@Scout for my
dagster.yaml
within the
DockerRunLauncher
how do I set my
/absolute/path/to/local/repo.py
as an env variable?
s
To set an absolute path to your
repo.py
as an environment variable for use within the
DockerRunLauncher
configuration in your
dagster.yaml
file, you can follow these steps: 1. First, set an environment variable in your shell to the absolute path of your
repo.py
. For example:
Copy code
sh    export REPO_PY_PATH=/absolute/path/to/local/repo.py
2. Then, in your
dagster.yaml
file, reference this environment variable using the appropriate syntax for environment variable substitution. According to the documentation, you can use the following syntax in your
dagster.yaml
to reference an environment variable:
Copy code
yaml    run_launcher:      module: dagster_docker      class: DockerRunLauncher      config:        image: "my-docker-image"        registry: "my-docker-registry"        env_vars:          - "REPO_PY_PATH"        # ... other configuration options
In this configuration,
REPO_PY_PATH
is the name of the environment variable that contains the absolute path to your
repo.py
. When the
DockerRunLauncher
launches a new Docker container, it will pass this environment variable to the container. Please ensure that the environment variable
REPO_PY_PATH
is set in the environment where the Dagster process (e.g., Dagit or the Dagster daemon) is running, so that it can be correctly passed to the Docker container. If you need to use the value of the
REPO_PY_PATH
environment variable within the Docker container (for example, to specify the location of your code when running a Dagster job), you would access it using the environment variable syntax specific to the shell or application within the container. Keep in mind that the exact configuration might vary depending on your specific use case and deployment setup. If you encounter any issues or need further assistance, please refer to the documentation or reach out for more specific guidance.
d
@Scout please change this
dagster.yaml
file that uses
mylocalrepo:/opt/dagster/app/
to load this variable from an env var
Copy code
scheduler:
  module: dagster.core.scheduler
  class: DagsterDaemonScheduler

run_coordinator:
  module: dagster.core.run_coordinator
  class: QueuedRunCoordinator

run_launcher:
  module: dagster_docker
  class: DockerRunLauncher
  config:
    env_vars:
      - DAGSTER_POSTGRES_USER
      - DAGSTER_POSTGRES_PASSWORD
      - DAGSTER_IRIS_DATA_POSTGRES_DATABASE
      - DAGSTER_POSTGRES_HOST
      - DAGSTER_POSTGRES_PORT
      - AIRBYTE_HOST
      - AIRBYTE_PORT
      - AIRBYTE_USERNAME
      - AIRBYTE_PASSWORD
      - DAGSTER_CURRENT_IMAGE
    container_kwargs:
      volumes:
        - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
        - /tmp/io_manager_storage:/tmp/io_manager_storage
        - mylocalrepo:/opt/dagster/app/
storage:
  postgres:
    postgres_db:
      hostname:
        env: DAGSTER_POSTGRES_HOST
      username:
        env: DAGSTER_POSTGRES_USER
      password:
        env: DAGSTER_POSTGRES_PASSWORD
      db_name:
        env: DAGSTER_IRIS_DATA_POSTGRES_DATABASE
      port:
        env: DAGSTER_POSTGRES_PORT
      params:
        options: -csearch_path=dagster-internal
s
To load the
mylocalrepo:/opt/dagster/app/
volume mapping from an environment variable, you would first need to set an environment variable in your environment that contains the path to
mylocalrepo
. For example, you could set an environment variable named
MY_LOCAL_REPO_PATH
to the desired path. Here's how you can modify the
dagster.yaml
file to use an environment variable for the volume mapping:
Copy code
yaml scheduler:   module: dagster.core.scheduler   class: DagsterDaemonScheduler  run_coordinator:   module: dagster.core.run_coordinator   class: QueuedRunCoordinator  run_launcher:   module: dagster_docker   class: DockerRunLauncher   config:     env_vars:       - DAGSTER_POSTGRES_USER       - DAGSTER_POSTGRES_PASSWORD       - DAGSTER_IRIS_DATA_POSTGRES_DATABASE       - DAGSTER_POSTGRES_HOST       - DAGSTER_POSTGRES_PORT       - AIRBYTE_HOST       - AIRBYTE_PORT       - AIRBYTE_USERNAME       - AIRBYTE_PASSWORD       - DAGSTER_CURRENT_IMAGE       - MY_LOCAL_REPO_PATH  # Add the environment variable for the local repo path     container_kwargs:       volumes:         - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock         - /tmp/io_manager_storage:/tmp/io_manager_storage         - "${MY_LOCAL_REPO_PATH}:/opt/dagster/app/"  # Use the environment variable in the volume mapping storage:   postgres:     postgres_db:       hostname:         env: DAGSTER_POSTGRES_HOST       username:         env: DAGSTER_POSTGRES_USER       password:         env: DAGSTER_POSTGRES_PASSWORD       db_name:         env: DAGSTER_IRIS_DATA_POSTGRES_DATABASE       port:         env: DAGSTER_POSTGRES_PORT       params:         options: -csearch_path=dagster-internal
In the
run_launcher
configuration, the
volumes
section now includes a reference to the
MY_LOCAL_REPO_PATH
environment variable. When the
DockerRunLauncher
launches a container, it will substitute the value of
MY_LOCAL_REPO_PATH
with the actual path you've set in your environment. Please ensure that the
MY_LOCAL_REPO_PATH
environment variable is set in the environment where the Dagster process is running. This will allow the
DockerRunLauncher
to correctly pass the volume mapping to the Docker container.