I don't care about the result from an asset just t...
# ask-ai
m
I don't care about the result from an asset just that it's completed. How do go about making that dependency for an asset downstream
s
In Dagster, if you want to define a dependency for an asset that depends on the completion of an upstream asset but does not require the result of that asset, you can use the
deps
parameter in the
@asset
decorator to specify the dependency. This will ensure that the downstream asset will only run after the upstream asset has completed, without needing to pass any outputs from the upstream asset to the downstream asset. Here's an example from the documentation that illustrates how to define such a dependency:
Copy code
python @asset def upstream_asset():     # ... logic for upstream asset ...  @asset(deps=[upstream_asset]) def downstream_asset():     # ... logic for downstream asset ...
In this example,
downstream_asset
depends on
upstream_asset
. The
deps
parameter is used to declare that
downstream_asset
should run after
upstream_asset
has completed. The downstream asset does not take any inputs from the upstream asset, so it's clear that it only cares about the completion of the upstream asset, not its result. This approach is suitable when you have scenarios such as executing a database query that creates or updates a table, where the downstream asset does not need to load the result of the upstream asset into memory to perform its operation. It's also useful when you want to have the reading and writing code explicitly defined in each asset, or when your assets manage I/O on their own using other libraries or tools that write to storage. Remember that defining dependencies using
deps
ensures that the execution order respects the dependency graph you've defined, so the downstream asset will not execute until the upstream asset has successfully completed.