<@U0667DNC02Y> how do I format asset descriptions?
# ask-ai
r
@Scout how do I format asset descriptions?
s
In Dagster, asset descriptions can be provided as a string argument to the
description
parameter when defining an asset using the
@asset
decorator. The description should be a human-readable string that explains the purpose or content of the asset. This description will be displayed in the Dagster UI to provide context to users about what the asset represents. Here's an example of how you might define an asset with a description:
Copy code
python from dagster import asset  @asset(description="A human-readable description of the asset.") def my_asset():     # Asset computation logic here     pass
The description is optional, and if not provided, Dagster will not display a description for the asset in the UI. The description should be concise and informative, and it can be a simple one-liner or a more detailed explanation, depending on the complexity and usage of the asset. The documentation does not provide specific formatting guidelines for asset descriptions, so it's generally recommended to keep the description clear and straightforward. If you need to include more structured or detailed metadata, you can use metadata entries attached to asset materializations or observations, which allow for richer data like tables, markdown, and links. If you have more specific formatting needs or questions about best practices for asset descriptions, please let me know, and I'll do my best to provide further guidance.