Is there an example of a code location with strict...
# ask-ai
g
Is there an example of a code location with strictly more than one definitions instance?
s
No, there is not an example of a code location with strictly more than one definitions instance. According to the documentation, only one
Definitions
object may be defined at the module scope within a single code location. If Dagster finds multiple
Definitions
objects in a single Python module, it will raise an error. This is to ensure that definitions within a code location have a common namespace and must have unique names, allowing them to be grouped and organized by code location in tools. Code locations | Dagster Docs button [RFC] Workspace/repository elimination f... button runs executed from the CLI don't show up... button [dagster-msteams] make_teams_on_run_fail... button Thank you for your feedback!
g
@Scout okay, so how would i go about introducing two or more definitions?
s
To introduce two or more
Definitions
instances, you would need to create them in separate code locations. Each code location can contain only one
Definitions
object. Here's how you can structure your project to accommodate multiple `Definitions`: 1. Separate Python Modules: Create separate Python modules (directories with an
__init__.py
file) or separate Python files for each
Definitions
instance. Each module or file will represent a distinct code location. 2. Top-Level Variable: In each module or file, create a top-level variable that contains the
Definitions
object. For example, in
my_first_file.py
, you would have:
Copy code
python
    # my_first_file.py
    from dagster import Definitions

defs = Definitions(
        assets=[...],
        schedules=[...],
        sensors=[...],
        resources=[...],
    )
And in
my_second_file.py
, you would have:
Copy code
python
    # my_second_file.py
    from dagster import Definitions

defs = Definitions(
        assets=[...],
        schedules=[...],
        sensors=[...],
        resources=[...],
    )
3. Workspace Configuration: Define a
workspace.yaml
file at the root of your project that specifies each code location. For example:
Copy code
yaml
    load_from:
      - python_file: my_first_file.py
      - python_file: my_second_file.py
4. Running Dagster: When running Dagster locally, you can use the
dagster dev
command with the
-w
argument to specify the workspace file:
Copy code
shell
    dagster dev -w workspace.yaml
This setup allows you to have multiple
Definitions
instances, each in its own code location, while adhering to the constraint that each code location can only have one
Definitions
object. Support loading Definitions from multipl... button How to use multiple definitions.py in co... button It possible to have both repositories an... button [RFC] Workspace/repository elimination f... button Thank you for your feedback!