define a sensor
# ask-ai
a
define a sensor
s
In Dagster, a sensor is a function that you can define to monitor external events and trigger runs of your jobs when certain conditions are met. To define a sensor, you use the
@sensor
decorator provided by Dagster. The decorated function is an evaluation function that takes in a
SensorEvaluationContext
and can yield
RunRequest
objects to create job runs or
SkipReason
objects to indicate why no runs were created. Here's a basic example of how to define a sensor:
Copy code
python from dagster import sensor, SensorEvaluationContext, RunRequest  @sensor(job=my_job) def my_sensor(context: SensorEvaluationContext):     # Your custom logic to check for external events goes here     # For example, you might check for a new file in a directory     if new_data_available():         # If the condition is met, create a RunRequest to trigger a job run         run_config = {"solids": {"my_solid": {"config": {"param": "value"}}}}         yield RunRequest(run_key="unique_run_key", run_config=run_config)     else:         # If the condition is not met, you can yield a SkipReason         yield SkipReason("No new data to process")
In this example,
my_job
is the job that you want to trigger. The
new_data_available
function represents a custom check for external events, such as the arrival of new data. If the condition is met, a
RunRequest
is yielded with a unique
run_key
and the necessary
run_config
for the job. If the condition is not met, a
SkipReason
is yielded to indicate why no run was created. Remember to replace
my_job
new_data_available
, and the
run_config
with your actual job, condition-checking logic, and configuration, respectively. This is a simplified example to illustrate the concept. In practice, your sensor's logic can be as simple or complex as needed to meet your requirements.