How can I reference the asset definition of a dbt ...
# ask-ai
t
How can I reference the asset definition of a dbt asset?
s
To reference the asset definition of a dbt asset, you can use the
dbt_assets
decorator provided by the
dagster-dbt
integration. This decorator allows you to load dbt models from a dbt project into Dagster as assets. Each dbt model will be represented as a Dagster asset, and you can reference these assets in your Dagster code. Here's an example of how you might use
dbt_assets
to load dbt models as Dagster assets:
Copy code
python from dagster_dbt import dbt_assets  # Assuming you have a dbt project with models you want to load as assets dbt_assets = dbt_assets(     project_dir="path/to/your/dbt/project",     profiles_dir="path/to/your/dbt/profiles",     # other optional parameters... )
Once you have loaded your dbt models as Dagster assets using
dbt_assets
, you can reference these assets in your Dagster code by their asset keys. The asset key for a dbt model is, by default, the name of the model. For more detailed information on how to use
dbt_assets
and customize your dbt assets using
DagsterDbtTranslator
, you can refer to the Dagster documentation, specifically the API docs for
dagster-dbt
and the reference on understanding asset definition attributes: - API docs for `dagster-dbt`: https://docs.dagster.io/_apidocs/libraries/dagster-dbt#dagster_dbt.dbt_assets - Reference for understanding asset definition attributes: https://docs.dagster.io/integrations/dbt/reference#understanding-asset-definition-attributes These resources will provide you with examples and guidance on how to define and reference dbt assets within your Dagster projects.
t
@Scout I have created dbt_project_assets using the DagsterDbtTranslator. But now I only want to reference one of the assets out of all the assets contained in dbt_project_assets. How can I do that?
s
To reference a specific asset from a set of dbt assets created with
dbt_assets
and a custom
DagsterDbtTranslator
, you can use the
get_asset_key_for_model
utility function provided by
dagster-dbt
. This function allows you to retrieve the corresponding Dagster asset key for a specific dbt model. Here's an example of how you might use
get_asset_key_for_model
to reference a single dbt asset:
Copy code
python from dagster import asset from dagster_dbt import dbt_assets, get_asset_key_for_model  @dbt_assets(manifest=...) def all_dbt_assets():     ...  # Reference a specific dbt asset by its model name @asset(deps={get_asset_key_for_model(all_dbt_assets, "your_model_name")}) def my_specific_asset():     # Your asset logic here     ...
In this example,
all_dbt_assets
is a function decorated with
@dbt_assets
that loads all dbt models as Dagster assets. The
get_asset_key_for_model
function is then used to get the asset key for the specific dbt model named
"your_model_name"
. This asset key is used to define a dependency for the
my_specific_asset
Dagster asset. For more information on how to use
get_asset_key_for_model
and other related utility functions, you can refer to the Dagster documentation for the
dagster-dbt
integration: - API docs for `dagster-dbt`: https://docs.dagster.io/_apidocs/libraries/dagster-dbt This documentation will provide you with examples and guidance on how to reference specific dbt assets within your Dagster projects.