How can I load the asset value in an asset check
# ask-ai
p
How can I load the asset value in an asset check
s
To load the asset value within an asset check, you can use the
load_asset_value
method provided by Dagster. This method allows you to load the contents of an asset as a Python object, which can then be used within your asset check logic. Here's a general approach based on the documentation: 1. Define your asset with the
@asset
decorator. 2. Within the asset check function, use the
load_asset_value
method to retrieve the asset's value. You will need to pass the
AssetKey
of the asset you want to load. The
load_asset_value
method is part of the
AssetValueLoader
class, which caches resource definitions used to load asset values across multiple load invocations. It should not be instantiated directly; instead, you should use the
get_asset_value_loader()
method provided by the
RepositoryDefinition
. Here's a simplified example of how you might use
load_asset_value
within an asset check:
Copy code
python from dagster import asset, AssetKey  @asset def my_asset():     # Asset computation logic     ...  def my_asset_check(context):     # To avoid a circular dependency, this import needs to be inside the function body     from my_dagster_project import defs      # Use the asset value loader to load the asset's value     with defs.get_asset_value_loader() as loader:         asset_value = loader.load_asset_value(AssetKey("my_asset"))         # Perform your check using the loaded asset value         ...
Please note that the above code is a conceptual example. You will need to adapt it to fit the specifics of your project and asset definitions. Additionally, if your asset is defined in a different Python module from the one that includes your
Definitions
object, you'll need to take extra care to avoid a circular dependency error at module load time. For more detailed information and examples, you should refer to the Dagster documentation on assets and asset checks.