Hello, I think I have a use case for partition set...
# announcements
a
Hello, I think I have a use case for partition sets, but I want to make sure I'm grokking your design intent for this feature. We have a bunch of simple jobs we run in a different tool currently that perform a daily truncate / reload of data from Salesforce objects into their respective Snowflake table. After reading your docs, I'm thinking I could adapt partition sets to this problem by writing a single pipeline to handle the truncate / reload functionality, and a partition function which returns the list of Salesforce objects to load. Does this sound like a valid way to use partition sets, or is there a better way I'm missing?
cc/ @David Clements
s
Hi @Andrew Brown - that does sound like a good use for partition sets
dagsir 1
a
How would the range argument work in this example? Alphabetically?
s
it would be based on whatever order the partitions are listed in in the list that you return in your partition function
a
Got it, thanks!
d
@sandy - Do you think the docs should be updated if a partition is more a general purpose mechanism for managing any list that needs to be processed? I think it speaks specifically to timebased and backfill
@sandy with the release of DynamicOutput would that be the preferred mechanism now?
s
@David Clements that is good feedback of about the docs - I will think about how to incorporate that
regarding dynamic orchestration, that's a good question. I think it comes down to how tightly coupled you want the runs for the different salesforce objects to be. if you will typically want to load all the salesforce objects at the same time, then DynamicOutputs would work well. if you want to be able to easily kick off runs for separate objects individually, then partition sets might make more sense
thanks 2