I am in the process of getting started with Dagste...
# announcements
g
I am in the process of getting started with Dagster locally. However, always see the warning of: The dagster instance configuration file (dagster.yaml) is not present. DAGSTER_HOME=/path/to/dagster_home dagit -f pipelines/hello_dagster.py is also not fixing it. How can I configure a minimal dagster setup correctly?
s
Hmm not sure what is going here. It’s hard to know without more context.
g
Hi , I think you mean when you start dagit, not dagster?
g
indeed!
only dagit is complaining
s
Oh interesting. Cc: @daniel do you have a sense of what is going on here?
d
Hi @geoHeil - its fine to have an empty dagster.yaml file if you don't want anything other than the defaults - that will suppress the warning. You can see the various options that can go in your dagster.yaml here, but none of them are required: https://docs.dagster.io/overview/instances/dagster-instance
g
understood. But I would want to have the logs for dagit & dagster (as well as these SQLite DBs (= state)) in the same foler for both. Why is dagit not taking the DAGSTER_HOME variable? What could perhaps be wrong in my way of specifying it?
d
ah, you have a dagster.yaml at /path/to/dagster_home but dagit isn't seeing it?
g
indeed.
d
Huh. What terminal/command-line environment are you using to run dagit? Does setting the environment variable separately before running dagit resolve the issue? “export DAGSTER_HOME=...”
g
indeed - and I also have figured a bug on my end: the bashrc was setting DAGSTER_HOME - but I forgot the
export
. For
dagster
I previously (indeed) was passing the variable manually on the CLI - and somehow I missed to do that for dagit and got confused. Thx for helping out!
condagster 1
👍 1
m
maybe this warning should be a little more expllicit
r
Hello - am running into the same problem and not sure how to fix this. I would also certainly need to set the logs and am missing how to set this properly in a windows machine. Can anyone put up a more detailed document please? It would a great asset to starters like me who has minimal knowledge on code based tool who wanted to move from GUI based ones!
m
we should definitely document how to set a windows env variable -- would you mind opening an issue? in the meantime there is https://kb.wisc.edu/cae/page.php?id=24500
r
Thanks!
m
actually i think i can create an issue from slack
👍 1
@dagster_bot docs document setting the DAGSTER_HOME environment variable on windows