Are there any guarantees on certain things remaini...
# announcements
k
Are there any guarantees on certain things remaining free after dagster goes commercial? E.g. will hosting your own dagster instance with the features that are available now always be free?
s
Hey Klaus thanks for asking the question. We are still working on publicly communicating our commercialization principles and strategy in more detail. Our current thinking is that all features currently in open source domain will continue to be in the open source domain. I am a “never say never” person and I don’t want to mis-represent anything. We cannot know the future. There is an outside possibility that some limited set of features currently in dagit that could be proprietary, but I would be surprised if there were. In particular features that benefit massively from centralized management and economies of scale. However, code that lives in process (e.g. the core dagster library) with your code will always be open source. And teams that want to self-host to execute Dagster pipelines will always be able to. Feel free to follow up with any specific pieces you are concerned about!
👍 2
k
Hi @schrockn, thanks for the detailed answer! Just to make sure I understood correctly: the "features that benefit massively from centralized management and economies of scale" are those that could maybe be only available in a paid option? Or is it the opposite?
Hi @schrockn, could you please answer above question? I'm not a native speaker and would like to make sure I understood this correctly. Thank you very much!
s
Those are candidates for commercial-only features, yes
to be clear I don’t anticipate anything current in OSS to be moved into a proprietary only context
k
ok, so you'd still be able to use kubernetes with celery to scale... the commercial features would then go even beyond that...
👍 1
s
yup!
👍 1