n
b
thanks! going to continue in a thread here so we don't clog up the channel
n
Heh, it's a fairly common request and while the docs include the mutation query example, not always obvious how to use it 🙂
b
how would that compare to something like writing config variables to a temporary yaml file, then running a shell subprocess from python that executes something like
Copy code
dagster pipeline execute -f inputs.py -c inputs_env.yaml
?
d
@Ben Lindsay for asynchronous execution I think you want "dagster pipeline launch" (which has similar arguments)
b
@daniel thanks! so would running a bash subprocess with
dagster pipeline launch ...
be the most straightforward way to accomplish what i'm looking for? (async pipeline launch from a Streamlit app) Any chance there's a python function that does the same thing as
dagster pipeline launch
?
n
We pretty quickly moved on from CLI stuff to a tiny custom Flask webapp to initiate runs just because authentication on CLI tools is so annoying
d
The launcher will typically open up a subprocess itself to do the actual execution, so you may not even need a subprocess? There isn't a single python function that's like execute_pipeline unfortunately, but you could call execute_launch_command from dagster.cli.pipeline and pass in the same key-value dictionary that you would pass into the CLI command? I can't promise that that function won't change in future releases though
b
got it, thanks!