Hi, I'm trying to understand how to manage the `da...
# announcements
s
Hi, I'm trying to understand how to manage the
dagster.yaml
configuration. From the instance documentation I understand that it is read from the
$DAGSTER_HOME
environment. If the
dagster.yaml
has the logic configuration per project while the
$DAGSTER_HOME
env is per user, what is the correct manner to use the
dagster.yaml
? Where should it be saved and how could it be run per project?
a
$DAGSTER_HOME
points at a directory that can contain a
dagster.yaml
to configure your “instance” which is akin to deployment or install
s
Thx for your quick response. As a newbee - i'm probably missing something out In the link it is says:
Dagster checks whether the environment variable
DAGSTER_HOME
is set
Isn't this "environment variable" set per user? then it will always point to one directory with one
dagster.yaml
file. However each project that I use will want to run a different
dagster.yaml
file, how do I configure that?
a
However each project that I use will want to run a different
dagster.yaml
file
Out of curiosity why is this? Can you tell me more about your set up? If you want to change your storage per project - you will have to set up multiple folders with
dagster.yaml
and change your
$DAGSTER_HOME
based on which project you are currently working on. Our tools are currently set up to handle different pipelines/repositories using a shared storage, so I would consider using one instance for working on your projects, at least locally.
s
Since each project is from a different domain, the logs would be saved in different databases. We will consider your suggestion.
a
ya this is a workflow style we haven’t optimized for yet - I would encourage you to file an issue describing what you think an ideal workflow would be for multi-instance work
s
I set my
DAGSTER_HOME
environment to a folder on my dagster machine. I set the dagster.yaml configuration to be exactly as in the documentation (just updating the base_dir). I set the permissions of the folder to allow everyone to write to it. When running the dagster - the job completes without any errors but I don't see any sqlite file. Do I need to generate a sqlite file or will be generated automatically? I'm I missing something?
a
hmm - I wonder if this is just an issue with
base_dir
- do you see the sqlite file in your
DAGSTER_HOME
directory instead?