:wave: Hey all :wave: I couldn't find any existin...
# deployment-kubernetes
a
đź‘‹ Hey all đź‘‹ I couldn't find any existing instances of this question, I'm trying to figure out how to deploy user code separately from Dagit, where all Dagster components (except for user code) are deployed by Helm. I managed to run a gRPC server locally with my repository, and connect a local Dagit instance to it using the
workspace.yaml
file. Now, if I want to do something similar in a k8s cluster, I guess I need to: 1. Deploy the gRPC server in its own Deployment + Service 2. Configure Dagit's workspace config-map to
load_from
the service However, AFAIK if the
userDeployments
value is enabled, then the chart expects to create a new deployment + service for that. In other words, I don't see a way to point it to an already-running service. Am I missing anything? Is there an easy way to deploy Dagster on k8s and still maintain user deployments independently?
a
cc @rex ya I’m not sure if this is possible with the current way the helm chart is set up
what happens if you just don’t enable
userDeployments
in the helm chart? Does something else not work?
c
hi @assaf , thanks for reaching out! supporting this out of the box is on our roadmap for 0.11.0 https://github.com/dagster-io/dagster/issues/3018. one option in the interim is that we can add a “dagit command override” that lets you point dagit at an arbitrary workspace definition file instead of
/dagster/helm/dagster/templates/configmap-workspace.yaml
which could then allow you to point at more flexible locations
đź‘Ť 1
if that sounds interesting, happy to get that out sooner
a
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.
@alex I hadn't tried that yet, will report back when I do.
@cat thanks for promoting that issue. As it looks currently, we'll probably have to make some other customizations to the chart anyway, so we might either try
kustomize
(I'm not sure if/how well it plays with Helm), or just copy the chart & hack at it like savages.
c
@rex is planning to work on this next week and can let you know what an eta looks like. Are there any requirements that you have that aren’t yet in the issue? Just want to make sure that the design solves your case 🙂