Not trying to bash the documentation since at leas...
# dagster-feedback
s
Not trying to bash the documentation since at least they exist, but for someone new to this, it’s been pretty rough so far. Below are the three things i was or still am trying to figure out: • Docs make it appear as if all the code should be wrapped with one of the decorators (ops, assets …) however that doesn’t appear to be the case as I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why
airbyte_sync_op.configured
wasn’t providing the output I was looking for when i had it in an op decorator • I then ran into dependency hell trying to get a
dagster_dbt
call to work as it was installing some old version of
dbt-core
and was throwing this error
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'jinja2._compat'
. Was able to resolve that by installing the
dbt-trino
library as that’s the backend we’re using, but there was absolutely no mention of having that driver or any other one installed in any of the examples or code samples that i came across • This one i’m still stuck on and i posted elsewhere to see if someone know what i’m missing. I’m simply trying to run
dbt deps
and looking at the docs https://docs.dagster.io/_apidocs/libraries/dagster-dbt#cli-resources several times now and i still don’t seem to understand how to call the cli and have it run
deps
. I re-read the page about resources and looked at the code and was assuming that i could just run
dbt_cli_resource.cli(command='deps')
but that’s not right as that’s a resource and i’ve only seen it used with configured. As a newbie, gotta admit, it’s been very frustrating trying to figure how to implement something as simple as running an existing dbt project or syncing airbyte and there isn’t much online to help either.
c
Hi Sar. Thanks for sharing this feedback. We're actively working on improving our documentation and hoping to add more examples to smooth out the rough edges you mentioned here. I've responded to your question in #dagster-support to the third point about running
dbt deps
. With regards to accessing resources within ops, this example illustrates how you can make calls to resources. We can improve documentation about setting up dbt and how users can interact with ops like
airbyte_sync_op