https://dagster.io/ logo
#ask-community
Title
# ask-community
f

Finn Frotscher

08/24/2022, 7:43 AM
👋 Hallo Team! its lovely to meet you all. we are just getting started with dagster and i am having issues to separate certain context and to judge when to apply which type. what is the difference between and when should i use
op
and
asset
job
and
graph
maybe someone could help me. best, Finn
r

Roel Hogervorst

08/24/2022, 8:35 AM
not part of the team, but I can give you some pointers. the
op
is a unit of work. like reading data, or transforming it in a way. You can combine multiple
ops
into a
graph
. A graph tells dagster how to map the outputs from one op, to another op. This also tells dagster in what order things should happen. If you combine the graph with io_managers (where to move the data between operations) and resources (for instance database connections) you create a
job
. I see a job as a graph with specifics for a certain environment. You don't need to use graphs, you can define jobs directly, but I use it extensively so I can define the logic once, and use that logic in tests. use that logic for local development, and use it for production. You have the ability to make it run locally with a local filesystem, and in production with s3 as backend (for example)
❤️ 1
D 1
c

chris

08/24/2022, 10:54 PM
^ the guide that zac has is the best resource at the moment. We're working on additional guides to make the different use cases more clear going forward!
🎉 1