I would like to set job name with space characters...
# ask-community
b
I would like to set job name with space characters but there is a regex check in core/definitions/utils.py. Is there any technical reason to exclude the whitespace? I just modified it and did not notice any problem. Thanks in advance for your reply!
🤖 1
o
Hi @Ben! I don't think there's any specific technical reason to disallow spaces in job names, but it's one of those cases where it's probably better safe than sorry. In most cases, the name of the job is scraped off of the name of the function where it's defined (which can't have any spaces), so you never know where that assumption might be baked in to the UI or internal APIs.
b
Hi @owen, thanks for the fast reply. Meaning you would not allow it per default for futures releases? We are just building a specific GUI that should display "user friendly" names. So I thought I use the "name" parameter before creating an own entry. Otherwise I would probably write metadata to transfer this name to the GUI. What do you mean?
o
Yeah, we have no plans to enable that behavior at the moment. I think applying metadata to the job that contains a user-friendly name, then surfacing that in the UI is a great idea, as it would add even more flexibility (special characters and the like) 🙂
👍 1