Hi! After upgrading dagster from `0.15.2` to `0.1...
# ask-community
d
Hi! After upgrading dagster from
to
our
@run_status_sensor
annotated method is failing with
dagster._check.CheckError: Member of list mismatches type
(details in thread)
Copy code
2022-07-12 17:00:09 +0900 - dagster.daemon.SensorDaemon - ERROR - Sensor daemon caught an error for sensor on_graph_success : dagster.core.errors.SensorExecutionError: Error occurred during the execution of evaluation_fn for sensor on_graph_success

Stack Trace:
  File "/Users/dpursehouse/git/project/.venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dagster/grpc/impl.py", line 284, in get_external_sensor_execution
    with user_code_error_boundary(
  File "/Users/dpursehouse/git/project/.homebrew/Caskroom/miniforge/base/envs/nodejs-16.6.1+python-3.10.0/lib/python3.10/contextlib.py", line 153, in __exit__
    self.gen.throw(typ, value, traceback)
  File "/Users/dpursehouse/git/project/.venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dagster/core/errors.py", line 191, in user_code_error_boundary
    raise error_cls(

The above exception was caused by the following exception:
dagster._check.CheckError: Member of list mismatches type. Expected (<class 'dagster.core.definitions.run_request.SkipReason'>, <class 'dagster.core.definitions.run_request.RunRequest'>, <class 'dagster.core.definitions.run_request.PipelineRunReaction'>). Got DagsterRun(pipeline_name='pipeline_name', run_id='b8ed68e9-144e-4209-b736-e4ff158e010d', run_config={'resources': {'task_data': {'config': {}}}}, mode='default', asset_selection=None, solid_selection=None, solids_to_execute=None, step_keys_to_execute=None, status=<DagsterRunStatus.SUCCESS: 'SUCCESS'>, tags={'.dagster/grpc_info': '{"host": "localhost", "port": 4266}', '.dagster/scheduled_execution_time': '2022-07-12T07:35:00+00:00', 'dagster/schedule_name': 'pipeline_every_five_minutes'}, root_run_id=None, parent_run_id=None, pipeline_snapshot_id='eb8ce46ea6dcc07b761a6d3f089b6f7d0df81c34', execution_plan_snapshot_id='35c1ae10b8ffbbf04fc6b4a739eedab59ac3b975', external_pipeline_origin=ExternalPipelineOrigin(external_repository_origin=ExternalRepositoryOrigin(repository_location_origin=GrpcServerRepositoryLocationOrigin(host='localhost', port=4266, socket=None, location_name='project.pipelines.repository', use_ssl=None), repository_name='project'), pipeline_name='pipeline'), pipeline_code_origin=PipelinePythonOrigin(pipeline_name='pipeline', repository_origin=RepositoryPythonOrigin(executable_path='/Users/dpursehouse/git/project/.venv/bin/python', code_pointer=PackageCodePointer(module='project.pipelines.repository', attribute='project', working_directory='/Users/dpursehouse/git/project'), container_image=None, entry_point=['dagster'], container_context={}))) of type <class 'dagster.core.storage.pipeline_run.DagsterRun'>.

Stack Trace:
  File "/Users/dpursehouse/git/project/.venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dagster/core/errors.py", line 184, in user_code_error_boundary
    yield
  File "/Users/dpursehouse/git/project/.venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dagster/grpc/impl.py", line 289, in get_external_sensor_execution
    return sensor_def.evaluate_tick(sensor_context)
  File "/Users/dpursehouse/git/project/.venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dagster/core/definitions/sensor_definition.py", line 373, in evaluate_tick
    check.is_list(result, (SkipReason, RunRequest, PipelineRunReaction))
  File "/Users/dpursehouse/git/project/.venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dagster/_check/__init__.py", line 862, in is_list
    return _check_iterable_items(obj, of_type, "list")
  File "/Users/dpursehouse/git/project/.venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dagster/_check/__init__.py", line 1597, in _check_iterable_items
    raise CheckError(
This is happening on a pipeline that is being invoked on a 5 minute schedule.
Seems to be because the sensor is being called with a
DagsterRun
while it expects one of the other types:
Copy code
check.is_list(result, (SkipReason, RunRequest, PipelineRunReaction))
Has something changed in dagster that causes this? I’m not sure what we need to change in our code to fix this.
I’ve narrowed it down to
that introduces this issue.
y
Hi! do you mind sharing your sensor code?
d
I can’t share the exact code but here’s the gist of it:
Copy code
@run_status_sensor(
    pipeline_run_status=DagsterRunStatus.SUCCESS,
    minimum_interval_seconds=10,
    default_status=DefaultSensorStatus.RUNNING,
)
def on_graph_success(
    context: RunStatusSensorContext,
) -> SkipReason | PipelineRunReaction:
    """On success."""
    # ...
    # Redacted code here does some stuff in our database, not using any dagster APIs
    # ...
    return PipelineRunReaction(context.dagster_run)
y
Got it - trying to repro on my end
d
@yuhan were you able to reproduce this? To add a bit more context, we have a
@graph
that we are configuring to run on a schedule like this (returned in the
schedules
field of the return value from our
@repository
method):
Copy code
"graph_every_five_minutes": ScheduleDefinition(
                name="graph_every_five_minutes",
                description="Process every five minutes.",
                job=graph_every_five_minutes_job,
                cron_schedule="*/5 * * * *",
                execution_timezone="US/Pacific",
                run_config=dagster.build_run_config(),
                default_status=DefaultScheduleStatus.RUNNING,
            ),
graph_every_five_minutes_job
is the result of calling
to_job()
on the
@graph
and
dagster.build_run_config()
is a locally implemented method that sets up some resource configs.
y
sorry got distracted by other stuff - i wasnt able to repro on my first try but will dig in first thing tomorrow
👍 1
d
Thanks. Appreciate the help.
s
@jamie - you recently made some changes to run status sensor, right? Could this possibly be related?
j
could potentially be related - i'll look into it!
@David just wanted to let you know i am able to replicate the issue in 0.15.3. still trying to figure out why this is happening , but i'll keep you updated on my progress
d
Thanks @jamie
j
quick update - I found the issue and have a PR up for it. It unfortunately won't make it in time for this week's release, but it'll go out next week. Thanks for reporting this and being patient while we figured it out!
d
That’s great news, thanks @jamie No problem to wait until next week.
Just to follow up on this, we installed dagster 0.15.8 which included the fix, and now it works fine. Thanks again for investigating and fixing!
daggy love 1