Hi I’m loading DBT assets and getting error becaus...
# ask-community
e
Hi I’m loading DBT assets and getting error because I think I have a schema name in DBT that is “prohibited” in dagster. How to get around this?
Copy code
dagster.core.errors.DagsterInvalidDefinitionError: "meta" is not a valid name in Dagster. It conflicts with a Dagster or python reserved keyword.

dbt_assets = load_assets_from_dbt_project(
  File "/root/.cache/pypoetry/virtualenvs/l2-check-pipeline-VA82Wl8V-py3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster_dbt/asset_defs.py", line 364, in load_assets_from_dbt_project
    return load_assets_from_dbt_manifest(
  File "/root/.cache/pypoetry/virtualenvs/l2-check-pipeline-VA82Wl8V-py3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster_dbt/asset_defs.py", line 433, in load_assets_from_dbt_manifest
    dbt_assets_def = _dbt_nodes_to_assets(
  File "/root/.cache/pypoetry/virtualenvs/l2-check-pipeline-VA82Wl8V-py3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster_dbt/asset_defs.py", line 272, in _dbt_nodes_to_assets
    return AssetsDefinition(
  File "/root/.cache/pypoetry/virtualenvs/l2-check-pipeline-VA82Wl8V-py3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster/core/asset_defs/assets.py", line 85, in __init__
    self._group_names_by_key[key] = validate_group_name(group_name)
  File "/root/.cache/pypoetry/virtualenvs/l2-check-pipeline-VA82Wl8V-py3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster/core/definitions/utils.py", line 122, in validate_group_name
    return check_valid_name(group_name)
  File "/root/.cache/pypoetry/virtualenvs/l2-check-pipeline-VA82Wl8V-py3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages/dagster/core/definitions/utils.py", line 56, in check_valid_name
    raise DagsterInvalidDefinitionError(
🤖 1
h
I would rename it from
meta
to something that isn’t a prohibited word and try again. Maybe something like
meta_task
?
e
Actuallty sorry I don’t have a schema named ‘meta’ I just assumed I did from the error message, I do have some tables/models that have the prefix
meta
meta_county
but I can’t find what is causing this error. I have successfully loaded a subset of the models in the DBT repo, I guess I could keep trying different subsets until I find the one that breaks it.
So it turns out I had a subfolder in the
models
directory named
meta
and renaming it made dagster happy. Looks like dagster was using the folder name as a Group name for the models in it.
s
Glad you were able to figure this out Eric. I filed an issue to remove this limitation: https://github.com/dagster-io/dagster/issues/8534.
e
👍