Logging question: I have a few file loggers config...
# ask-community
m
Logging question: I have a few file loggers configured via
dictConfig
in an application I'm porting to Dagster. They make use of a logging filter as well as file handlers. Is there a way to make my
logging.dictConfig
call get along with Dagster logging setup? I can use the
python_loggers
configuration in
dagster.yaml
to capture their output into Dagit, but that only works if I remove the
dictConfig
call. I see that I could add handlers and formatters via
dagster_handler_config
as described in the docs, but it's a little painful to port my current logging config dict setup to
dagster.yaml
, and I would also lose the filters.
It looks like I can work around this by creating my logger classes programatically instead of by dict config.
j
cc @owen in case we have any additional tips
o
unfortunately, I think your workaround is the best option at the moment
m
OK, thanks for checking in. The case where this is trickiest is attaching handlers/filters to the root logger. I think I can set up handlers in
dagster.yaml
which will apply to the root logger, but then I'm guessing they'll catch the
dagster
logger output too? I guess a short-term help would be some more detail about how logs are set up -- when Dagster's logging config is applied, how the
dagster
logger is configured (with propagation, any other key details).
o
hi @Mark Fickett! The basic flow is that when the dagster run context is created (so this would be when the job is launched in a single process, or in each step's process if each step is being run in a separate process), the DagsterLogManager will be instantiated. You can see the creation code here: https://sourcegraph.com/github.com/dagster-io/dagster/-/blob/python_modules/dagster/dagster/core/log_manager.py?L272:7
ty thankyou 1
m
I'd like my logging handlers to receive the plain
LogRecord.msg
, but it seems like they're getting a pre-formatted version. For example, the
msg
is "_battery_data_job_local - 17f7577a-d149-4c4d-82fb-8fba5e810198 - data_pipe_graph_sasquatch_reactor.raw_data_graph_sasquatch_reactor._normalize_arbin8_task_sasquatch_reactor[ananke] -_ Normalizing..." where I would like it to just be "Normalizing..." (all the italicized stuff is added by Dagster). It looks like this is coming from
DagsterLogHandler._convert_record
editing the
msg
property in place: https://sourcegraph.com/github.com/dagster-io/dagster/-/blob/python_modules/dagster/dagster/core/log_manager.py?L232 . And it happens to be handling the particular
LogRecord
before my handler gets to it. If I edit the source to skip that line then I get what I want. Any way to work around it? Or potentially something that could be changed?
o
hi @Mark Fickett! I believe the original message is preserved in
LogRecord.dagster_meta["orig_message"]
(definitely not the most convenient thing, I'll admit)
m
OK, I'm using a helper to pull the message out of there and put it back in LogRecord.msg for my handlers. I filed https://github.com/dagster-io/dagster/issues/7642 to request a more ideal solution, but this works well enough for now. Thanks for your help understanding what was going on!
👍 1