is there a list of things to avoid when doing mult...
# ask-community
s
is there a list of things to avoid when doing multi-threaded work within an op? The context is that we are using dask's ThreadPoolExecutor to spawn 4 threads. We noticed logs were being dropped, which led me to this related thread where I learned the context object not being thread-safe. A related question is, if we want to have threadsafe logging, should we use the default logging module instead of the one provided by context?
a
hmm, while some aspects of the context may have thread safety issues im surprised it was dropping logs since the underlying python logging should be thread safe. May be an issue with our handler i suppose. Do you have any more detail about the dropped logs? Using the default loggers should be an option, stdout/stderr get captured (which we refer to as “compute logs”) so the contents should still be available in dagit, just not in the main structured event stream. Generally you should be safe to use threads as you please. Generally i would expect them to be
join
-ed before exiting the op unless you want them to keep running with no monitoring/control.
r
Yea, what we were doing here is trying to get some logs from a thread back into the dagit main structured event stream.
The rough code was using a ThreadPoolExecutor and passing the context object to the function called in the thread (where it called
<http://context.log.info|context.log.info>()
so something like this:
Copy code
def func(l, context):
    <http://context.log.info|context.log.info>("Log something")
    # do something

r = []
with ThreadPoolExecutor(thread_count):
    for l in ll:
        r.append(func(l, context))
that being said we could use the standard python logger here and viewing the results in the “compute logs” - viewing them in the dagit main structured stream is more of a nice to have
a
you could have the main thread poll a
Queue
for messages and context.log them while it waits for the threads to complete
still not obvious to me why the messages were dropped without more details
r
yea, I’m not really sure why either - let me keep a closer tab on it the next time I run this flow and if I see anything else that may help - I’ll share it here