Will an Asset Reconciliation Sensor trigger a mate...
# ask-community
s
Will an Asset Reconciliation Sensor trigger a materialization of downstream assets every time any of its upstream assets is materialized?
Copy code
import time

@asset
def upstream_short():
   time.sleep(1)
   return 1

@asset
def upstream_long():
   time.sleep(600)
   return 2

@asset
def downstream(upstream_short, upstream_long):
   return 3

reconciliation_snesor = build_asset_reconciliation_sensor(
    asset_selection=AssetSelection.keys("downstream"),
)
I would expect that
reconciliation_sensor
will trigger a run of
downstream
if
upstream_short
is materialized, or if
upstream_long
is materialized. What if
upstream_short
is materialized, while
upstream_long
is running?
c
Hi Stephen, currently the asset reconciliation sensor doesn't have any functionality to wait depending on whether upstream assets are currently executing. So if upstream long is running and upstream short is materialized, the downstream asset will rematerialize. Then, once upstream long is materialized, the downstream asset will rematerialize again.
👍 1
s
ok, thanks. What if I set a longer sensor lag time, like allowing 60 minutes between evaluations? In that case, it would detect both changes, and submit only one run, right?
c
Yes that’s right, it’ll work as long as the evaluation interval is longer than the greater runtime of the two assets
👍 1
z
Hi @claire Do you know if there will be any work planned to add intelligence to the reconciliation sensor to "plan" around the case that Stephen mentioned above? I'm thinking about a scenario where a large backfill is taking place for an upstream of both
upstream_short
and
upstream_long
above called
upstream_main
. In this case
downstream
would materialize twice for each partition
c
Hi Zachary. We have discussed this and we likely will add a functionality in the future that waits for in progress runs. The main reason why it doesn't exist right now is that it's a less reliable way of waiting for upstream work for partitioned assets. Partitioned executions are often split across many runs that aren't in progress at the same time. There's also the potential concern that it may cause a deadlock where a job may be running constantly. Once we handle these cases, we'll provide support for waiting for in progress runs.
🙌 1
s
I'm thinking about a scenario where a large backfill is taking place for an upstream of both
upstream_short
and
upstream_long
above called
upstream_main
. In this case
downstream
would materialize twice for each partition
In this case, the existing asset reconciliation sensor should already work fine After
upstream_main
completes,
upstream_long
will be considered stale. The reconciliation sensor won't materialize any assets until all their parents are fresh. I.e. it won't run
downstream
until
upstream_short
and
upstream_long
have both incorporated the change to
upstream_main
👍 1