can anyone explain to me *how to run the dagster-d...
# ask-community
j
can anyone explain to me *how to run the dagster-daemon and dagit when you have multiple modules*(code locations)? im testing locally, and have several modules pointed out in the
workspace.yml
file..the documents say to set
DAGSTER_HOME
, so i have it as
DAGSTER_HOME='L:\work\Dagster\volumes dagster-daemon run'
when i run
dagit
in the command line, and its showing in deployment that no daemon is running:
No recent heartbeat
i have a schedule defined as a test,with
default_status=DefaultScheduleStatus.RUNNING
- and it shows up under the module's schedules tab. but no deamon running.
m
are you running dagit with DAGSTER_HOME also? they both need to point to the same, you could
export DAGSTER_HOME
or otherwise script it so they are both using it
d
We are releasing a 'dagster dev' command in the release later today that will let you run both dagit and the daemon from a single process and using the same code locations - that might help with confusing situations like this
❤️ 1
j
@Martin Picard hey yeah, i always had dagster home set for the storage..but i just added the
dagster-deamon run
part to it because that's what i saw in the docs. basically im hoping to run dagit and the daemon at the same time
or is dagit meant to replace the daemon - which wouldnt make sense because then i wouldnt see that section under deployment
maybe im confused about the whole thing...if i run
dagster-daemon run
and start up the daemon..how would i then look at it from the ui standpoint
d
Dagit powers the UI and the daemon run schedules and other long-running processes - they're intended to coexist in harmony
m
you need to run two processes in parallel so open a second shell and run both simultaneously
d
(until dagster dev launches later today 🙂 )
🌈 1
c
nice feature!!! Any chance that we could define DAGSTER_HOME with a relative path for development purposes??
d
Carlos can you say more about that? What's the benefit of it being a relative path vs. an absolute one?
c
just setting it in the Makefile in the repo and not having to define a .env file for each developer. Not sure if $PWD works now thay i think about it
d
I think running
DAGSTER_HOME=$PWD dagster dev
would work for that if its an option for you
c
thanks! i'll try
c
Works perfect! The $pwd works as well! Thanks! :)
j
@Martin Picard
@Martin Picard hey yeah thats exactly what i originally thought - i ran
dagster-daemon run
on one terminal, then
dagit
on another... the thing is when i run dagit, it warns me that it's gonna store in temp instead of where
DAGSTER_HOME
is - and then when in the ui, it shows a yellow tiangle issue for deployment
m
DAGSTER_HOME must be set before starting the processes, putting it in .env doesn't work because it gets read too late I believe,
j
ohhhh that would explain it
btw @daniel the
dagster dev
feature is awesome, thank you so much
🎉 1