Is it possible to select a specific DBT profile ta...
# integration-dbt
n
Is it possible to select a specific DBT profile target when loading DBT assets in Dagster? https://docs.getdbt.com/docs/get-started/connection-profiles#understanding-targets-in-profiles (not to be confused with the target directory that contains the compilation artifacts). As far as I can tell, you can only specify a
profiles_dir
so it will use the default target defined in
pofiles.yml
. While with the DBT CLI, we can specify a target different from the default by using the
--target
parameter. I think it would be nice to have this
target
parameter in the dagster-dbt API. Our use case is that we have two distinct databases with their own specific DBT assets. A current workaround is to manage two different
profiles_dir
which have each a different
profiles.yml
with a different default target.
dagster bot responded by community 1
q
This is possible when you configure dbt_cli_resource.
Copy code
dbt_cli_resource.configured({'profiles_dir': pathToDir, 'project_dir': pathToproject, 'target': yoirPreferredTarget})
You can now go ahead and use this resource to load your dbt assets
n
Ah yes, I missed it in the documentation: https://docs.dagster.io/_apidocs/libraries/dagster-dbt#dagster_dbt.dbt_cli_resource Thanks for your help!
c
Curious if this actually works. When I tried using
load_assets_from_dbt_project
with
with_resources
, the resource isn't used when loading assets You can see this in the dbt command that is run when loading Dagster code (like when dagit starts you can see the dbt command that is run to create the dbt assets). That dbt command doesn't use
--target
even if your resource is configured with a target That matches what I see in the code https://github.com/dagster-io/dagster/blob/master/python_modules/libraries/dagster-dbt/dagster_dbt/asset_defs.py#L63-L68 which doesn't include
target
as a flag
n
I didn't have time to test a use case with different targets yet, but why would the target change the DBT models loaded by Dagster? It is not supposed to select different models, only change the database/schema against which DBT queries will run. If you want to load specific DBT models, you have to list them in the
select
argument of
c
uses
dbt ls ...
to load models as assets (by creating a manifest, then parsing it). Like you said in your original message, if you don't specify a target, dbt uses the default target as specified in your
profiles.yml
In my case, I use a different database and credentials for different targets (very common). I don't have the local dev credentials in my production environment. So when Dagster attempts to load models, it fails because it's using the default target and those environment variables don't exist in production
n
I might be missing something, I'm not following why specifying the target in the dbt resource config isn't working for you. DBT model selection and target selection is two distinct things. When Dagit will load your DBT assets, it will load the DBT models you selected, this is independent of the target, so it makes sense that it doesn't mention the target at this point. When you will materialize your DBT assets, Dagster will start DBT which will run against the database you've configured in the target, either the target you've provided in the DBT resource config, or the default target configured in your DBT profile. Is the issue that your DBT assets change depending on the target? Then you'd have to split your DBT assets into multiple groups, each with its specific DBT model selection and DBT target.
c
When Dagit will load your DBT assets, it will load the DBT models you selected, this is independent of the target
that's what I'm saying, this isn't true. Dagster needs to generate a manifest in order to parse the dbt models into assets. Dagster creates a manifest by running
dbt ls ...
. Any dbt command uses the default target if it isn't specified
Now the actual models loaded might be the same, but the target does change the behavior of dbt.
specifying the target in the dbt resource config
This is working for me. I'm just saying
isn't strictly speaking independent of any targets, because it's running a dbt CLI command in the background. So if someone, like me, uses environment variables to configure targets, those environment variables need to be provided for the default target
n
Ok, now I understand what you're saying. It seems to be a limitation on DBT side to not allow picking a target for
dbt ls
. I guess the workaround would be to either have a custom DBT
profiles.yml
for each environment, or maybe if it's possible, have the value of the
target
in
profiles.yml
also taken from an environment variable.
r
following up on this thread, passing
target
here does work, would the dagster team be open to making target a param? Right now we essentially have forked the
path just to set that param. for context on why thats currently needed, the bigquery io manager requires the second to last value in the asset key to be the dataset, but we set different datasets in different envs, we use a custom
node_info_to_asset_key
to grab the "custom schema" for the asset key but the issue is the custom schema is always for the dbt profile default instead of the proper target