https://dagster.io/ logo
#ask-community
Title
# ask-community
c

clay

02/14/2023, 3:02 PM
Can anybody point me to a tutorial on how to use Launchpad in dagit? The docs seem pretty sparse regarding configuration options and the consequences of using Launchpad.
o

owen

02/14/2023, 7:05 PM
hi @clay! Not sure if there's any full tutorial out there but the gist of it is that the Launchpad gives you a typeahead editor for specifying config for a job (or set of assets) before launching a run for it. If you job does not accept/require config, there's generally not a huge need for interacting with the launchpad, but if it does require config then you'll need to fill in the required values in the launchpad before kicking off the run.
c

clay

02/14/2023, 8:11 PM
Thanks, @owen. This might be a good topic for a short tutorial video. I guess part of my question is: What does it mean to accept/require config? Would that just be an asset that has a parameter in its signature that is not defined in the scope of the script?
🌈 1
o

owen

02/14/2023, 9:11 PM
ah I see -- not quite, but that's the basic idea. these docs cover the topic pretty well: https://docs.dagster.io/concepts/configuration/config-schema#defining-and-accessing-configuration-for-an-op-asset-or-resource but the gist of it is that config allows you to change aspects of an op's (or asset's) computation. you could definitely think of it as an additional parameter to the op, but generally config values are more like strings and ints than full-fledged python objects (and are not passed in through the function signature).
❤️ 1
c

clay

02/14/2023, 9:22 PM
I have to say... I've been back and forth through the documentation 1000 times and haven't come across that before, or didn't really recognize what I was seeing. 😬 I still maintain it would be a good tutorial 😄
o

owen

02/14/2023, 9:23 PM
oh absolutely agree on that front! we're actually making a good chunk of changes/simplification to the config system so the docs improvements will be downstream of that
just in general, a lot of effort is being put into improving our docs -- I definitely agree it can be hard to find/discover concepts at the moment
👍 1