Just getting to grips with dagster, a few question...
# ask-community
a
Just getting to grips with dagster, a few questions about
DAGSTER_HOME
(DH) as I am a little confused. Do I have this right? - Without DH set, dagster outputs logs to a local tmp directory, which is cleaned up after dagit shuts down. No info regarding runs is persisted when dagit is shut down. - Not setting DH is useful when you are still developing/breaking things and don't care about logging long term. - DH should probably be a directory outside of your python project, because... -
dagster.yaml
should not be under change control'; it's something you can customize on the fly for each deployment location, more like a
.env
file in that sense. - It's common to have DH set but NOT create a dagster.yaml as some kind of halfway between testing and deployment. - DH is both 1) a place to keep persistent data between dagit sessions, AND 2) a place to find
dagster.yaml
, which can redirect dagster data & logs that would otherwise go to DH to other IO sinks (postgres/S3 etc).
c
v
Point 4 is interesting to me; could you elaborate on why you think
dagster.yaml
shouldn’t be in change control? Here’s my current setup in full OSS, roughly (might be forgetting a thing or two): •
dagster_deployment
image with dagit, the daemon,
dagster.yaml
and
workspace.yaml
DAGSTER_HOME
is set within the container • project/user code locations don’t have
DAGSTER_HOME
set or a
dagster.yaml
file, as they just run the gRPC and all logs and storage are managed by the central dagster instance •
docker-compose
for local development that mimics my entire prod/staging environment: overrides my
dagster.yaml
from the
dagster_deployment
package, especially relevant for the
RunLauncher
. Storage is a postgres spun up with docker-compose and persisted in my local machine • for quicker iteration/whenever I don’t need to see how the whole system will run, I might just run
dagster dev
from a project folder, in this case I have my
DAGSTER_HOME
set to a location in my disk as well, but only because I needed it for
DynamicPartitions
(IIRC)