Hi! I’m considering making the switch to ingestion...
# integration-airbyte
g
Hi! I’m considering making the switch to ingestion-as-code. How are people running the
dagster-airbyte check/apply
commands in their deployed containers? As part of their CI/CD? As a dagster job? Not really sure how best to get this set up so it can run on infrastructure with access to the env vars and db connections it needs
j
Also struggling with this one. Right now we have a manual deployment process, just for simplicity's sake. The fact it runs as a module from inside our Dagster project module means it needs access to all of the environment variables that the whole module requires, which is a bit of a bear. I don't think running it as a dagster job will ever work, since building the dagster environment will fail if your Airbyte connections are out of sync with their ingestion-as-code imported asset definitions. So your Airbyte instance has to be updated before your build step
g
Yeah I think you’re right about the job not working, that was poorly thought out by me on that one 😅 I’ll let you know what we end up going with if we get it going
Appreciate your insight, thanks for sharing ty spinny
j
You got it! It's funny, solving this exact problem is what I had on my roadmap for today. When you mentioned running it as a Dagster job I got very excited at first 😂. I'm thinking the best way to get it to work is to have a pre-build step with a custom container you install the module and it's required env variables into.
blob rofl 1
g
I think the big issue for me is that I can only access our warehouse and airbyte deployment from within our self-hosted infrastructure - so including it in a container build phase is a no go as far as I can tell crycat
m
Hi, how we can run apply from python code?
I am using Freshdesk as a source and Postgres as a destination. but I want to apply the configuration from Python, not from the command window.