hi all, i notice that when I set an environment va...
# dagster-plus
l
hi all, i notice that when I set an environment variable for branch deployments only, it triggers a deployment of my full deployment as well as the last few days worth of branch deployments. The deployments to the branch deployments in particular seem to take quite a while; what's going on under the surface here? Is there a way to speed this up?
d
Hey Leo - the reason that it redeploys the branch deployments is because the server needs to restart in order for the new environment variable to be available. When you say it seems to take a while - can you say more about what kind of problems you're seeing due to the restart?
I'd expect it to redeploy to any branch deployments that are still heartbeating (believe the current default is branch deployments that have been used in the last 24 hours up to a limit, but that value is configurable)
l
Usually, it takes 5-10 minutes to restart, which is workable. I do have one branch deployment in particular today that has been in an updating state for upwards of 4 hours, though... which definitely doesn't seem right
d
Hm, that definitely does not sound right, yeah - might need to check the agent logs to see what's up there. I'd be curious if pressing "Redeploy" from the Code Locations page for that branch deployment helps
l
ah, that worked!
d
Ah ok, great - the answer for why it got stuck in updating may be buried in your agent logs during the redeploy that got stuck