I have a question about run monitoring, specifical...
# ask-community
a
I have a question about run monitoring, specifically about run start timeouts I see in the docs that value
for
start_timeout_seconds
is the default and doesn't "need to be specified execpt to override" it but can I actually have no timeout for the run to start while still leaving
run_monitoring
itself
enabled
? (I need it to have general run timeouts)
@claire @daniel maybe you can give any input on that? couldn't find any supporting documentation elaborating on that config key will try to set it to
or
and test, maybe this is how I disable this timeout
d
I don't think we supporting it to 0 or -1 currently although it's a very reasonable ask - in the short term, it's a bit inelegant, but would setting it to a very high value be an option that it will never realistically hit (say, the number of seconds in a year)?
a
yes, that's what we did for now
thank you for the reply
condagster 1
@daniel while you're still here, maybe you can advise on what I can do if I have a lot of jobs in
starting
state but none actually start because the k8s pods which daemon created for it do not exist anymore (2nd screenshot) I guess these jobs were somehow requested during the
helm upgrade
of the whole setup and all these jobs became orphans with no actual pod for them
d
probably worth a new post for this question - but what I would suggest is to force terminate the runs
a
and there is no way to trigger the re-execution of all?
I can do it 1 by 1, and it works by creating a new k8s job for it, but there is a
of them hehe
d
Here's a script that you could use:
Copy code
from dagster import DagsterInstance, RunsFilter, DagsterRunStatus

instance = DagsterInstance.get() # needs your DAGSTER_HOME to be set
queued_runs = instance.get_runs(filters=RunsFilter(statuses=[DagsterRunStatus.STARTING]))
for run in queued_runs:
    instance.report_run_canceled(run)
you could run that on the dagit pod
a
that would help me restarting them, but at least I can clear it out this way, yes thank you
d
Included a fix that will let you set start_timeout_seconds to 0 here and have it turn off the feature, even if run monitoring is disabled: https://github.com/dagster-io/dagster/pull/14084
a
so with this it won't be failing runs if they are in
STARTING
state for indefinitely long time?
d
yeah, it would disable the feature
a
nice, thanks looking forward to have it released