how define a sensor that is triggered when a new p...
# ask-ai
g
how define a sensor that is triggered when a new partition is added to an asset?
s
To define a sensor that is triggered when a new partition is added to an asset, you can use the
@multi_asset_sensor
decorator provided by Dagster. This decorator allows you to monitor multiple assets, including partitioned assets, and trigger runs based on materializations of those assets. Here's an example from the documentation that shows how to define a sensor that monitors an asset with daily partitions:
Copy code
python
from dagster import asset, multi_asset_sensor, DailyPartitionsDefinition, RunRequest

@asset(partitions_def=DailyPartitionsDefinition("2022-07-01"))
def my_daily_partitioned_asset():
    # Asset computation logic
    return 1

@multi_asset_sensor(asset_keys=[my_daily_partitioned_asset.key])
def my_sensor(context):
    # Get the latest materialization records for the asset's partitions
    materialization_records = context.latest_materialization_records_by_partition(my_daily_partitioned_asset.key)

# Check if there are new materializations and trigger a run if needed
    for partition_key, event_log_record in materialization_records.items():
        if event_log_record:
            # Trigger a run for the new partition
            yield RunRequest(run_key=partition_key)
In this example,
my_daily_partitioned_asset
is a partitioned asset with daily partitions starting from "2022-07-01". The
my_sensor
function is decorated with
@multi_asset_sensor
and specifies the asset key of
my_daily_partitioned_asset
. Inside the sensor function,
latest_materialization_records_by_partition
is used to get the latest materialization records for each partition of the monitored asset. If there are new materializations, the sensor yields a
RunRequest
for each new partition. Please note that the example provided is a simplified version, and you may need to adjust the logic to fit your specific use case, such as handling partition keys more dynamically or incorporating additional logic to determine when to trigger a run. How do I use a sensor with a partition d... button Asset reconciliation sensor is triggerin... button Asset Sensors | Dagster Docs button how to get partition info from an asset ... button Thank you for your feedback!
g
no in my specific case, the new partition is added dynamically without running a materialization! i want to triggere the sensor when a new partition is added, not when the last materialization happened.