<@U0667DNC02Y> How can I use an duckdb resource in...
# ask-ai
m
@Scout How can I use an duckdb resource in an ops?
s
We recommend using software-defined assets instead of ops when working with DuckDB in Dagster. However, if you specifically need to use a DuckDB resource within an op, you would define a resource in your Dagster repository and then access it within the body of your op using the context object. Here's an example based on the documentation: First, you would define the DuckDB resource:
Copy code
python from dagster_duckdb import DuckDBResource  # Configure the DuckDB resource duckdb_resource = DuckDBResource(     database="path/to/my_duckdb_database.duckdb",  # required )
Then, you would define an op that uses this resource:
Copy code
python from dagster import op  @op(required_resource_keys={"duckdb"}) def my_duckdb_op(context):     # Get a connection from the DuckDB resource     with context.resources.duckdb.get_connection() as conn:         # conn is a duckdb.DuckDBPyConnection         # You can now use this connection to execute SQL queries         conn.execute("YOUR SQL QUERY HERE")
Finally, you would include the resource in your repository definition:
Copy code
python from dagster import job, repository  @job(resource_defs={"duckdb": duckdb_resource}) def my_job():     my_duckdb_op()  @repository def my_repository():     return [my_job]
In this setup, the
my_duckdb_op
op requires the
duckdb
resource, which is provided to the job through the
resource_defs
argument. When the op is executed, it uses the DuckDB connection to perform database operations. Please note that while this example shows how to use a DuckDB resource within an op, we encourage the use of assets when working with data in Dagster, as they provide a more declarative and modular approach to data orchestration.