Hi! We try to execute multiprocess_executor on Kub...
# ask-community
d
Hi! We try to execute multiprocess_executor on Kubernetes. I've executed a job in local mode, it was successful. After that, I tried to execute it on Prod as well, but I got an error:
Copy code
kubernetes.client.exceptions.ApiException: (403)
Reason: Forbidden
HTTP response headers: HTTPHeaderDict({'Audit-Id': '89394afc-8f31-479d-b626-afcbe7a6dae6', 'Cache-Control': 'no-cache, private', 'Content-Type': 'application/json', 'X-Content-Type-Options': 'nosniff', 'X-Kubernetes-Pf-Flowschema-Uid': '9895fe88-9a7f-452d-a578-4ac38c897d2e', 'X-Kubernetes-Pf-Prioritylevel-Uid': '7718b4d7-f74e-42f3-9994-4bef4648ce4b', 'Date': 'Tue, 12 Jul 2022 12:43:43 GMT', 'Content-Length': '311'})
HTTP response body: {"kind":"Status","apiVersion":"v1","metadata":{},"status":"Failure","message":"jobs.batch is forbidden: User \"system:serviceaccount:dagster:dagster\" cannot create resource \"jobs\" in API group \"batch\" in the namespace \"default\"","reason":"Forbidden","details":{"group":"batch","kind":"jobs"},"code":403}

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/dagster/core/instance/__init__.py", line 1762, in launch_run
    self._run_launcher.launch_run(LaunchRunContext(pipeline_run=run, workspace=workspace))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/dagster_celery_k8s/launcher.py", line 240, in launch_run
    self._batch_api.create_namespaced_job(body=job, namespace=job_namespace)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/kubernetes/client/api/batch_v1_api.py", line 210, in create_namespaced_job
    return self.create_namespaced_job_with_http_info(namespace, body, **kwargs)  # noqa: E501
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/kubernetes/client/api/batch_v1_api.py", line 323, in create_namespaced_job_with_http_info
    collection_formats=collection_formats)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/kubernetes/client/api_client.py", line 353, in call_api
    _preload_content, _request_timeout, _host)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/kubernetes/client/api_client.py", line 184, in __call_api
    _request_timeout=_request_timeout)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/kubernetes/client/api_client.py", line 397, in request
    body=body)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/kubernetes/client/rest.py", line 281, in POST
    body=body)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/kubernetes/client/rest.py", line 234, in request
    raise ApiException(http_resp=r)
My current config is the following:
Copy code
@job(
    resource_defs=df,
    executor_def=multiprocess_executor,
    config=_default_config_masseffect
)
Could you please help me how can I move forward? As far as I understand I should define the namespace for the executor. Thanks in advance!
🤖 1
d
Here is the relevant part of the error:
Copy code
User \"system:serviceaccount:dagster:dagster\" cannot create resource \"jobs\" in API group \"batch\" in the namespace \"default\"","reason":"Forbidden","details":{"group":"batch","kind":"jobs"},"code":403}
Your service account doesn't have enough permissions. Seems like you would like to set the
job_namespace
variable to a non-default value too.
d
@Daniel Gafni thanks for your quick answer. Can I define the job_namespace variable on this way?
Copy code
executor_def=multiprocess_executor({"execution":  {"config": {"job_namespace": "dagster"}}}),
If not, could you please send me a simple example?
d
I don't know myself for sure, because I struggled with this too and decided to focus on local development for now. It seems like the following executors have this parameter: •
dagster_k8s.k8s_job_executor
•
dagster_celery_k8s.celery_k8s_job_executor
The multiprocessing executor definitely can't take it as input (it doesn't know anything about namespaces). There is also a
jobNamespace
field in the
helm
values for the `k8sRunLauncher`:
Copy code
config:
    # This configuration will only be used if the K8sRunLauncher is selected
    k8sRunLauncher:
      # Change with caution! If you're using a fixed tag for pipeline run images, changing the
      # image pull policy to anything other than "Always" will use a cached/stale image, which is
      # almost certainly not what you want.
      imagePullPolicy: "Always"

## The image to use for the launched Job's Dagster container.
      ## The `pullPolicy` field is ignored. Use`imagePullPolicy` instead.
      # image:
      #   repository: ""
      #   tag: ""
      #   pullPolicy: Always

# The K8s namespace where new jobs will be launched.
      # By default, the release namespace is used.
      jobNamespace: ~
Maybe this will help.
y
x-posting the workaround here (note that this code snippet isn’t tested so it may need some extra tweaks)
Copy code
from dagster import executor, job
from dagster.core.execution.retries import RetryMode
from dagster.core.executor.multiprocess import MultiprocessExecutor
from dagster_celery_k8s.config import celery_k8s_executor_config

@executor(config_schema=celery_k8s_executor_config())
def celery_k8s_compat_multiproc_executor(_context):
    return MultiprocessExecutor(
        retries=RetryMode.ENABLED,
        max_concurrent=0,  # default to cpu count, can add config to set if desired
    )

@job(
    config={"execution": {"config": {"job_namespace": "dagster"}}},
    executor_def=celery_k8s_compat_multiproc_executor,
)
def test():
    pass