Pass literal as input to op Is it possible to pas...
# ask-community
s
Pass literal as input to op Is it possible to pass a literal value to an
op
as one of its input? I have an
op
that works over a date range describer by
start_date
and
end_date
. The start and end dates are relative to today, but I would not like to bake the date range logic into the
op
so that I can reuse it, i.e. I'd like to calculate the start and end dates outside of the
op
and then pass those to the
op
somehow. I tried the following, but it failed with the error,
Copy code
@dagster.op
def my_op(context, start_date, end_date):
    <http://context.log.info|context.log.info>(f"{start_date} - {end_date}")

@dagster.job
def my_job():
    start_date = datetime.date.today()
    end_date = datetime.date.today() + datetime.timedelta(days=1)
Copy code
In @job my_job, received invalid type <class 'datetime.date'> for input "start_date" (passed by keyword) in op invocation "my_op". Must pass the output from previous node invocations or inputs to the composition function as inputs when invoking nodes during composition.
I'm not surprised by this error - I understand that there is a composition step that happens where a job is "solidified", which is what the error message is referring to. I see two options: • I could have another
op
calculate the start and end dates and pass those to
my_op
• I could possibly pass start and end dates as config, although they probably wouldn't be dynamic, i.e. they wouldn't be recalculated on each execution of the job Please help me to understand a pattern that would allow me to have several different jobs which could all reuse
my_op
, each using different start and end dates that would be dynamic, i.e. recalculated each time the jobs run.
c
Hi Stefan, a root input manager seems to meet your use case: https://docs.dagster.io/concepts/io-management/unconnected-inputs#providing-an-input-manager-for-a-root-input-
Copy code
@op(ins={"dataframe": In(root_manager_key="my_root_manager")})
def my_op(dataframe):
    """Do some stuff"""

@root_input_manager
def table1_loader(_):
    return read_dataframe_from_table(name="table1")

@job(resource_defs={"my_root_manager": table1_loader})
def my_job():
    my_op()

@root_input_manager
def table2_loader(_):
    return read_dataframe_from_table(name="table2")

@job(resource_defs={"my_root_manager": table2_loader})
def job_2():
    my_op()
Then, each job can contain the same resource key that maps to a different root input manager that passes in a dynamic start date.
s
Thanks, @claire. That looks like an interesting feature. In my case I could have a
root_input_manager
for each relevant date range calculation which return
(start_date, end_date)
. The
op
that needs the date range would simply use the
date_range
input (based on the
root_manager_key
) and it would be up to the job to set the relevant
root_input_manager
for the
root_manager_key
. I realise this is pretty much exactly what you spelled out above. 👍 Could you help me to understand when the
root_input_manager
compute_fn actually gets executed? If it behaves like a resource then it'll be at the time that the job is executed (as part of execution initialisation). Or is it executed lazily the first time it is needed?
c
root_input_manager
behaves like a resource. The
@root_input_manager
decorator yields a
RootInputManagerDefinition
which is a
ResourceDefinition
that produces a
RootInputManager
👍 1