Is anyone using dbt Cloud today and considering mo...
# integration-dbt
c
Is anyone using dbt Cloud today and considering moving out to Dagster due to the price increase they announced yesterday? I feel like the value we get from their Cloud is too low for the price. Moving to Dagster will bring some benefits but I’m not sure Dagster has the same easy access to artifacts, build errors and observability features.
j
plus1 for everything you said but we were looking prior to the price increase. The only reason we haven't moved yet is because we're considering utilizing their "semantic layer" for metrics.
c
Interesting, you think we won’t be able to use the dbt metrics layer without the Cloud offering? If that’s the case then Transform might be the solution.
j
You can use dbt metrics (that's an open source dbt package) but for e.g. if you want "on the fly" metrics pulled into Mode you'll need dbt Cloud's semantic layer (& the proxy server url). Transform and a few other tools exist but then we're paying for those tools so might as well stay in dbt Cloud. And I'm not big on self hosting (unless it's worth it) because I still need to support it 🙂
c
That makes sense. Thanks for sharing.
t
I've been going back and forth on this, but my current stance is that dbt Semantic Layer isn't worth using dbt Cloud for Have you looked at Cube? Huge transform fan, but Cube has a strong self deployed offering.
c
Yes paying for dbt Cloud just because of the Semantic Layer seems like a stretch to me too. Transform, Cube and MetriQL all look good on paper but I haven’t tried any of them.
j
I agree but it's hard to justify getting off dbt Cloud just to pay for another tool. Although Cube is open source and looks very promising. If I wasn't already on dbt Cloud, I wouldn't use it
c
I’m pretty sure the Semantic Layer will be an add-on
🤮 1